Changing the inspection and testing intervals for genie lifts

Thirdtap

'lo

Some background - I work for what is essentially a London Borough council is looking after the technical facilities in four venues around the borough. We have four Vertical Person Platforms - or genie lifts in three venues 1 x battery powered - this get the most use, 2 x mains powered lifts and one manual / wind up platform.

Three of the platforms do not get regular use sometimes they may not get used at all for weeks or months at a time and as mentioned the battery powered machine gets the most use and this is not every week.

HSE - the bottom of page two states that inspections should happen every six months or at intervals laid down by a competent person. Now I think this question will not apply to most theatres as they are busier with productions and shows then we are and so the equipment may get used on a daily or weekly basis, has anyone changed the frequency of the testing and or inspection? Most of our venues are hired as large halls for parties, functions, playgroups and such like which do not require the use of access equipment.

So currently we have a service company carrying out the testing every six months and also the insurance company send and engineer onsite to inspect the equipment I think on an annual basis. I was present whilst the insurance engineer was inspecting the machine recently and the work was not much less than that carried out by the service company.

Is it worth me looking into changing the frequency of the tests as sometimes it seems that the lifts get the most use from the testing process not for carrying out actual work?

Thanks

Is it worth me looking into changing the frequency of the tests as sometimes it seems that the lifts get the most use from the testing process not for carrying out actual work?

As you rightly point out, LOLER does make this provision to alter the inspection frequency. I'd suggest you contact your insurance inspector and discuss it with him. He should have copies of past inspections and be able to identify whether there's no change in the device, or whether it does in fact need maintenance / inspection on a more regular basis.

Naturally, this approach does rely on your usage data being correct. Might an annual inspection and an annual service separated by 6 months be a suitable approach?

Archived