Raylight reflectors

lonfire

Hi guys,

I've just got some new par64s with raylights in them.. I'm slightly concerned as the power terminals on the back of the unit are exposed and you can just reach in the back and touch them.. They aren't the normal par64 replacement raylights where you plug in the standard par64 ceramic socket, they have two wires coming out the back of the cermaic lamp holder..

I would have expected that the back of the par shouldn't be open or the conductors shouldn't be exposed..

anybody seen anything like this?

rgds

chris

Hi guys,

I've just got some new par64s with raylights in them.. I'm slightly concerned as the power terminals on the back of the unit are exposed and you can just reach in the back and touch them.. They aren't the normal par64 replacement raylights where you plug in the standard par64 ceramic socket, they have two wires coming out the back of the cermaic lamp holder..

I would have expected that the back of the par shouldn't be open or the conductors shouldn't be exposed..

anybody seen anything like this?

rgds

chris

sounds like a fairly standard ray reflector to me, I've got hundreds of them,

admitadly from the days when " well don't stick your hand in the back of a ray parcan " was suitable health and safety procedure.

that said an ACL lamp in a par64 has exposed screw terminals in the back leading to lots of amusing (but maybe not so true) stories of thick lampies saying " I rotated the beams on those par lamps and got a shock from everyone I touched"

you say you got them new, do you mean brand new or second hand but new to you, just I'm having trouble buying them anymore, I was told there was no one manafacturing ray reflectors anymore in either tails or prongs

Ok, to fully comply with the appropriate standards, cans for use with raylights like this should be of the closed back design and have a mesh with holes no larger than 3mm at the front.

hi brian,

can you tell me which standard this is and where I can get a copy of it.. sounds like I need to read it..

thanks

chris

BS EN 60958-1:2004 'Luminaires - Part 1: General requirements and tests' plus BS EN 60 598-2-17:1989 'Specification for luminaires for stage lighting, television, film and photographic studios (outside and indoor)'.

However, those two will set you back £178 for part 1 and £86 for part 17 :D

However, as an end user you shouldn't be concerned. It's the person who 'places them on the market' who is meant to make sure they comply with standards. This is the manufacturer if they are made inthe EU or the importer. The trouble is that people are buying in container loads from the far east without regard to this fact.

Not all stuff from the far east has problems. I have a PAR64 can next to me which has 2 meshes in the front, a 3mm and a 10mm as well as a closed back. And they weren't expensive.

BS EN 60958-1:2004 'Luminaires - Part 1: General requirements and tests' plus BS EN 60 598-2-17:1989 'Specification for luminaires for stage lighting, television, film and photographic studios (outside and indoor)'.

However, those two will set you back £178 for part 1 and £86 for part 17

right.. any other way of getting them? I think I'll need them..

rgds

chris

Archived