Un-uniform gangway risers in a seating block

GRisdale

In our new theatre (soon to be completed) the auditorium gangways/stairs do not have uniform riser heights. The height varies at random by up to 20mm. The seating capacity is 300. Will this be an issue come licensing time?

Thanks,

Gareth.

Hmm possibly - presumably the architects of your new theatre have read and abided by the "yellow book" (technical standards for places of entertainment). If so then you should have no problems.

I've had a very quick look in the book and there is quite a lot of rules & regs about seating/staircases etc.

Maybe you might need to look at what will happen if your entertainment licencing officer says there is a problem - who is going to solve this problem? You or the people who designed/built the theatre?

We have uneven goings on the steps in a theatre at work, and the cause me to stumble in the light, never mind a dark evac! I would strongly advise that uneven rises would be as bad, if not worse, and should be avoided. Even if there is a cost!

The architects say that there's nothing wrong with it and that nothing was said when it went through building control, therefore so do the builders who won't acknowledge that the requirements of a THEATRE differ from a standard building. That was their response to me challenging them on the dodgy risers and the lack of on stage fire exits...

Environmental health didn't seem at all bothered about it when I spoke to them earlier, while the licencing people at the local council couldn't tell me anything until we apply for a license (then they'll tell us whether we're likely to get a license...)

Andrew C's warning about uneven goings only adds to my concern - these are also randomly uneven on the treads in question (!?!?).

Uneven risers is a really bad idea, regardless of what any regs might say. You will have people tripping up them frequently. How will everyone feel when some 6 year old kid trips up a step and bashes their face in? If this can be changed then it should be.

Archived