Old amplifier for show

dominicgross

Im looking for an old vintage style amp to be blown up for a show my A leval group are doing next month.

It can be any era from the 30's to 70's, preferby cheep.

The idea is that a glass of water is spilt on it and it explodes: I dont no loads about piro: what do I need to make it relalistic? It need to go band, smoke a bit and shoot some sparks...

(feel free to move this into the sutble area)

I don't know loads about pyro

In that case it's better that you don't try it. BUT if you decide to do it anyway it's also essential that you are given some decent advice...

Im looking for an old vintage style amp to be blown up for a show my A leval group are doing next month.

It can be any era from the 30's to 70's, preferby cheep.

The idea is that a glass of water is spilt on it and it explodes: I dont no loads about piro: what do I need to make it relalistic? It need to go band, smoke a bit and shoot some sparks...

Construct a strong wooden box and decorate accordingly, leave holes in the outside of the box.

For the smoke you need to use 'Aladdin Smoke' pyros, these are designed to be ignited in a moderately confined space.

For the bang and sparks you need to use 'Robotics' which simulate electrical faults, these would be fixed to the outside of the box.

SAFETY WARNING

1. Do not even think of using a standard theatrical flash inside a box.

2. Do a risk assessment.

3. Make sure your operator is both trained and follows the necessary regulations.

4. If at all unsure how to do this safely, don't do it.

You dont want to start with a real amp.

the valves are likley to become high velocity broken glass --- shreds flesh and can only be found be the surgeon prodding around

The old capacitors are likley to be full of PCB's ---- environmentally unfriendly and suspect carcinogen.

Look at an old amp of the type required and build it as a prop to contain the pyro.

Get pro pyro and pro advice on fitting and firing it. You dont get a second chance at blowing limbs off

From a safety viewpoint try to look around the idea of Blowing Up an Amp can you do the "Pour water on the amp" bit and get the dying amp fx simply from a sound track or even try to trigger smoke from a concealed smoke machine in the "amp"

can you use a laboratory hotplate in the "amp" and throw smoke fluid on it as the spilt drink -- just dont drink smoke fluid

can you use a laboratory hotplate in the "amp" and throw smoke fluid on it as the spilt drink -- just dont drink smoke fluid

'Smoke' from 'smoke' machines is not really smoke. Real smoke is a product of combustion, smoke machines make a vapour or suspension. Most smoke fluids are water based. It really isn't a good idea to use stuff in a way it's not designed for.

full of PCB's ---- environmentally unfriendly and suspect carcinogen

different use of same acronym here, the PCBs in the news recently, which cause cancer, are polychlorinated biphenyls, the other one in simply printed circuit board.

Mind you, the comment about being environmentally unfriendly applies to both. Printed circuit boards take a good few years to decompose.

Archived