quad 50E ?????

neodyne

Translation...

I have a Quad 50E audio power amplifier. One of the diodes, type AA129, was faulty and I've now replace it. Now one of the resistors is getting hot. Can anyone help?

Answer...

I think you'll have a bit more luck if you find a suitable hi-fi forum to ask the question in.

If I remember correctly these are professional current dumping amps. If the design is anything like the 405 then some of the resistors are supposed to get hot - that's why they're mounted on long legs away from the circuit board. Are you talking about these resistors or something else. It might be worth doing a web search as there is plenty of information about similar amps around.

I also understand that Quad's service department is very good and still fixes their older gear at reasonable prices.

Cheers

James.

My experience of QUAD's service is that they're very approachable and will happily either provide advice over the phone/email or, as James says, bring old gear up to a "brand new" spec for a flat rate. The last time I used the service was some years ago, but their web site gives reason for optimism.

Details of how to contact them are at: http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/service.php

Bob

The Quad 50E is rather old (1970s?), and is a professional mono power amplifier (50w) sharing the same case as the Quad 303. It has multi-pole connectors wired to transformer inputs and outputs. With the correct wiring within these connectors it is possible to provide a wide range of input and output impedances (including 100V line). It is truly a professional piece of equipment that should not be confused with Quads Hi-Fi ranges.

It's ages since I worked with one of these, but in those days the support from Quad was always first rate, and given the unusual amplifier that this is it makes sense to talk to the manufacturer first.

Archived