LED Bargraph

Lamplighter

I am hoping that someone may recall the mention of a 1u 19" rack mount led bargraph (VU meter) probably Behringer, mentioned in the last few months. I have tried several searches and read old posts till my eyes watered. I will bookmark it this time - promise!

Brian

As a matter of interest, Brian, what are you planning to do with them? I've often (well, occasionally) wondered what the applictaion would be - the unbalanced inputs and lack of calibration suggest they're not really intended for the pro market - and are more for "show" than anything else.

but of course, I could be wrong....

As a matter of interest, Brian, what are you planning to do with them? I've often (well, occasionally) wondered what the applictaion would be - the unbalanced inputs and lack of calibration suggest they're not really intended for the pro market - and are more for "show" than anything else.

but of course, I could be wrong....

The plan was to modify them if necessary to juggle the timing characteristics to approximate to a PPM to monitor the 4 main outputs of my new mixer. Historically I have grown used to PPMs on most of the live outputs but the LS9 display only has a dual bargraph, with an option to monitor all mixes etc on the screen, This is too much information in too small a format. I am only looking at the area approaching clipping and may well be able to rely on the built in limiters, so these would just give me a comfort zone. The units previously mentioned were ridiculously cheap and had balanced inputs but if I don't find them again it looks as if I will be getting the iron out!

Brian

PS I suppose I could just use my avatar!

Not seen a Behringer one ... I do know of a Stageline VU-800 unit - it only has Phono connections tho :D

Thanks Chris

That looks interesting, it would save doing the metalwork and I can't see it being difficult to control the ballistics, convert to balanced inputs and precision rectifier. Pity there is no proper tech info!

Brian

Why not just connect a laptop and use the metering in Studio Manager? You get loads more then, and assuming you already have a laptop, it costs you nothing and takes no time.

That is the second option and works reasonably well, though still too much information and I don't really want a laptop around once I'm setup. I am building a simple 4 channel 10 segment bargraph in 2dB steps which will exactly meet my requirements and sit in my line of site. After some consideration, the original idea of the rackmount is discarded, but thank you all for the most helpful replies.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A little while ago there was a thread about rack mount VU meters, and the OP eventually built his own. I've searched and failed to find the thread; anyone recall it...?

Moderation: Threads merged. Congratulations to p.k.roberts, who was first to post the link...

Anyone know of a a slightly higher density solution? I'd like eight meters in 2u rather than four...? Loss of resolution is not a problem...

(And thanks to those who on this day had better searching skills than I could muster)

Archived