There are companies who supply PTFE tiles which can be used as an indoor rink. My daughter's school hired them in for the day 10 or 12 years ago. I'll try to track down some more details for you.

Tony

Surely all the outdoor ice rinks are laying up somewhere now Christmas is past? I bet you could get one cheap from Aggreko............

Yes I am only kidding - lets not do the that could be dangerous rant this group seems to do so well.

Oh what the heck lets kick off with - Make sure your stage can hold the weight of the water that you have just frozen on it

Sam

http://www.coldproducts.com/ezvideo.php - indoor plastic ice

Yes I am only kidding - lets not do the that could be dangerous rant this group seems to do so well.

Sorry Sam - have we upset you somehow?

The weight of water would be a problem, if he wanted water - he doesn't, and the next poster suggested PTFE which is the plastic stuff often seen in shopping centres at Christmas. The type of plant required to actually freeze water is not small, or cheap, or easy to maintain and uses some pretty unpleasant chemicals.

From the skaters point of view - I've checked, and they don't like it much at all - lots of the cleverer stuff can't be done on plastic, and the owners normally hate figure skating boots as they have fronts that wreck the surface - so the techniques required are different. No problem adapting, but something that some skaters hate.

As far as I can tell from Stage Electrics website their ice rinks are infact ice and not plastic.

http://www.stage-electrics.co.uk/eweb/psice.htm

O and they are not cheap either, but are excellent for all year round ice skating. Apparently they'll work in almost any temperature aslong as you keep the sun off them. Hense why quite a few could be seen in action this Christmas, when the rest were just slush.

Frazer

If it were me I'd look at using roller blades (cunningly disguised of course!)

My thoughts too, copious quantities of smoke and roller blades.

Also, have we remembered that most stages slope? (well mine does anyway!) I'm pretty sure ice skating requires a perfectly flat surface. I'd hate to see one get caught out by the slope and fly downstage and off into the orchestra pit!!! (though it'd get a lot of money on "you've been framed"). There'd be a lot of work involved in flattening out a stage.

Is this just for one scene or is the entire show on ice?

How to make ice skating on stage, using no ice, but a another sufface, but what.
Hmmmm....

Sadly, another thread where the OP drops in, makes a rqeuest, gets some answers but is never seen again....

Steenberg - any feedback????

How to make ice skating on stage, using no ice, but a another sufface, but what.

Hmmmm....

Sadly, another thread where the OP drops in, makes a rqeuest, gets some answers but is never seen again....

Steenberg - any feedback????

Yes, Viking ice

Archived