Industry Professionals?

soundo26

Yes, DMX Lines should have the fixtures in series except where a proper splitter/buffer is used and the line should be terminated.

Be careful of over-terminating DMX lines!

I agree with your post - things should be done right... but in amateur associations, this is simply not possible all of the time.

What most of these people are saying is that - I need to run video to the same place as the sound multicore ends, but I don't have enough cable to run it and I don't have budget to hire/buy cable... can I get away with it and risk inferior quality.

And in most instances - you can get away with a lot.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps answers that give less than ideal solutions should be prefixed with a "This should work, but the correct way is x y z" type statements?

I think this is probably the most sensible suggestion in this topic sofar. Maybe it can go in the 'Welcome to the Blue (Ball)room'. It would certainly raise the level of information that can be found.

I agree with Chris that some people are just too lazy to actually try to find answers to their questions and even get obusive if they don't like the answers they get. Stangely enough that is often combined with an inability to find the spell check button, but that is just my bug bear. Don't think there is much you can do about that other than point them in the right direction and hope the concept sticks. Most of these posters have the attention span of a wind-up toy and dissappear fairly quickly.

Perhaps answers that give less than ideal solutions should be prefixed with a "This should work, but the correct way is x y z" type statements?

I think this is probably the most sensible suggestion in this topic sofar. Maybe it can go in the 'Welcome to the Blue (Ball)room'. It would certainly raise the level of information that can be found.

In my opinion, this is what already happens. As long as you know that what you are doing "wrong" (and try that before you ask why it isn't working) then I see no problem with knowingly doing the wrong thing. The key word there being: knowingly.

In my opinion, this is what already happens. As long as you know that what you are doing "wrong" (and try that before you ask why it isn't working) then I see no problem with knowingly doing the wrong thing. The key word there being: knowingly.
Indeed; one of the most valuable things on the BR (which many people may not appreciate) is when someone asks how to do something, a number of apocryphal 16 year olds & similar reply with various dangerous / guessed answers, and people who actually know what they're talking about explain why the bodged way is the wrong way. Debunking of the dangerous is, in its way, just as useful as being told straight up the right way to do something.

but I'd have a tie line installed by the third time.

yeh, we were forever running bodges (due to next to no time between gigs to do anything exceot simple maintanence) and then we get 6 weeks of no gigs due to other work and we have tie lines (of VGA, DMX and video) EVERYWHERE! It's possibly now over kill, but it does mean that set up for a lot of gigs has diminished :D

my experience on video down a sound multi is really that you still need to make sure that the signal goign in in the first place is of high enough quality to withstand the cable. We (while I was at St Andrews) had a computer for graphics and the op wanted to be front of house, so we ran it down the multi and the quality was terible. I assume, now, that if we had had an amp of some description before the multi it wold maybe have helped.

Archived