First aid kit

Ike

OK this is more a question for the self employed out there.

I own an awful lot of PPE however don't own even a basic first aid kit, if I have an accident I tend to patch myself up with bits from the toolbox. I have decided I could do with picking up a couple of emergency eyewash bottles, maybe a burn dressing or two and possibly a bloodstopper for anything beyond a lx tape job.

While it isn't particularly nice to be thinking of accidents you might have I was wondering if there is anything obvious I've missed, do you carry a first aid kit and if so what's in it?

Edited...because I'm an idiot!

Yes - mine is a cheapish kit though, which basically has 2 instant ice packs, various patches/plasters/bandages, mircopore tape, scissors, safety pins and some antiseptic wipes. I don't carry eyewash, but is a good idea!

Burns kit - I got mine from Halfords for £2.99 has four colant cream bags and some plasters - very good at soothing soldering iron burns.

I don't carry any form of pills, although those for personal use are in my gig bag.

For basic kits, the Halfords/Boots/supermarket branded ones are okay, but you should always think about what it could potentially be used for (depending on what you do as part of your work).

So, say you do lots of work with power tools or chemicals, then an eye wash kit would be good to have. It's all common sense really :)

As for pills/prescriptions, it's highly adviseable to keep them out of the first aid kit itself, as it's illegal for first aiders or anyone to "prescribe" medication even for a headache. All to do with CYA in case someone's allergic to or has a bad reaction to something.

Re: kit supplies, you can't go wrong with supplies from St John Ambulance (and everything purchased from there goes to help support the charity too!)

I have the usual first aid kit with the prescribed items, and another, not marked first aid, that has the more useful minor kit. Obviously, it's there for people to help themselves, I don't ever give them out - but paracetomol, ibroprufen, vaseline, germaline, TCP, germaloid, optrex, external and internal ladies 'things', cotton wool, isopropyl alcohol, plasters - pink (shiny) and pink (fabric), burn cream, blister cream and patches, safety pins, tubular bandage and applicator. None of these things are in todays first aid kits, but the supplies seem to need topping up quite often.

as it's illegal for first aiders or anyone to "prescribe" medication

Prescribe is by far the wrong word here and I do appreciate the quotes surrounding it.

However a first aider can give an Aspirin (crushed on the tongue I think) to somebody who is having a heart attack. I can look up the correct wording from my first aid manual if necessary.

This is by far in the extreme, and obviuosly an ambulance should be called first etc etc.

What would your position be if a student takes a first aid kit in with his personal gear into a school? e.g. what size would be considered as appropriate. and would it be considered as dangerous (think harm by misuse from other students) and also is it illegal to use a non school first aid kit etc.

However a first aider can give an Aspirin (crushed on the tongue I think) to somebody who is having a heart attack. I can look up the correct wording from my first aid manual if necessary.

This is by far in the extreme, and obviuosly an ambulance should be called first etc etc.

As an aside, a friend who 'works' for a St Johns Ambulance Links group recently recieved a memo saying that this was not to be done, and members should be informed of this ASAP, before any situation where the treatment was used arrived.

Not really sure what the alternative was, but he seemed to spend most of that days storming round complaining about it.

Sort of off topic really I guess, but just in case anyone ever has to deal with this kind of incident. However, not much help as I don't know what to do instead, and wouldn't won't to give advice of what to do anyway.

as it's illegal for first aiders or anyone to "prescribe" medication

Prescribe is by far the wrong word here and I do appreciate the quotes surrounding it.

That other thread I mentioned before covers much the same ground. In particular:

However, contrary to what most first aid trainers will teach it is not illegal (nor is it necessarily even frowned upon in all circumstances) for a first aider to make paracetamol or aspirin available to people in the workplace. Whether its wise or not is, of course, a different question entirely.

The HSE say (here on their website) that while first aid kits should not contain tablets or medication...

(and I quote)... "strictly speaking, there is no legal bar to employers making such items available to employees, if the assessment of first aid needs indicates they should be provided. HSE has no objection to paracetamol or aspirin being made available in the workplace. First aiders administering these tablets should have a reasonable understanding of what is involved."

Sean

x

First Aid Kits:

In the workshop, there is a burns kit, eye wash, and comprehensive kit including the usual parts (and more of course), such as triangular bandages, dressings, plasters (pink fabric and blue).

In the van there is a Halfords/boots etc kit, which again has the regular bits in and an eyewash kit.

In the production case, there is a kit similar to that in the unit. However this one also has Aspirin, Paracetamol and Ibruprofen in it. At no point is this offered to the injured, or headache prone, however they are available for self-prescribed use. Also in there is a mobile phone, which is on, and charged during events, so that if an emergency call is necessary, there is another means of doing so, as opposed to crew mobiles which may be damaged, or left in vans/bags/coats etc.

As an aside, a friend who 'works' for a St Johns Ambulance Links group recently recieved a memo saying that this was not to be done, and members should be informed of this ASAP, before any situation where the treatment was used arrived.

Whilst I appreciate that this is edging off the topic of the OP, I feel its an important one, if mods would like to split please feel free.

Thats interesting as I have contacts in St Johns, so will make enquiries. I have just checked my first aid manual, which St Johns supplied when on my last training course (May06).

Page 125 of the First Aid Manual, 8th edition, dealing with a heart attack:

Point 3 (Point 2 is phone 999) "If the casualty is fully conscious, give him a full-does (300mg) aspirin tablet and advise him to chew it slowly.

Point 4 also goes on to state that you can assist in the application of tablets or spray for angina.

This sort of info is vital for first aiders nowadays as Heart attacks unfortunately are becoming a way of life :cold:

Archived