Cool Lights

chappy

did anyone see joules holland last night on tv...well not just on there but on loads of music shows . there are some lights that have become very popular. usually they are placed by the corners of the stage and project these great lookin beams of light across the studio. quiet a few beams are created I'm guessing with a gobo that rotates.

the ones on joules holland looked like the alpha one, falcon flower. but not sure

any ideas?

chappy

Yea I've been wondering that too - they have become more popular with ITV, first time I'd seen them on the BBC. You could clearly see the light on Lilly Allen's performance stage.

But nearly all ITV shows seem to be featuring them.

I'm not sure what the actual unit is show in those pictures. But a very similar product is the Studio Due Dominator or Space Flowers which produced those kind of effects... I know the Dominator get used on a lot of TV things X Factor, Brits, MTV etc...

Using Dominators loads recently, doing a lot with them at premieres in Leicester Square. Photo below from the Eragon World Premiere last month. You can just see the beams from two of the four units we put in the sign, which was a monstrous truss structure hanging off the front of The Odeon West End. Dave

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p234/hughesy51/th_DSC00030.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Actually I *think* it may be a Studio Due Magnum 1500, unless anyone knows better.

The only mention on Studio Due's current website is a comment that the SpaceFlower is "similar to the Magnum..."

However, courtesy of the internat archive (archive.org), some info from 2002:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020617104950/....com/magnum.htm

I was digging around because we were looking to hire one:

Panda Hire - Studio Due Magnum

Is anyone aware of a cheaper alternative? To be used indoors in a hazed environment for a musical, so something a bit less powerful would do!

Kind Regards,

Marc

While I have no grounds to reasonably deny what you've suggested marc, the second website says it will project beams for 4-5 km. The pics that 'the kid' posted don't seem to be particularly dimmed (assuming mechanical dimmer), and appear to be a much narrower angle.

However, I don't know what they are, and so can't say you're wrong, just question it. :)

• 1 year later...
did anyone see joules holland last night on tv...well not just on there but on loads of music shows . there are some lights that have become very popular. usually they are placed by the corners of the stage and project these great lookin beams of light across the studio. quiet a few beams are created I'm guessing with a gobo that rotates.

the ones on joules holland looked like the alpha one, falcon flower. but not sure

any ideas?

chappy

The lights in question are Studio Due SPace Flowers with an external Wybron shutter fitted.

All the lights for Later with Jools Holland have been provided by Aurora Lighting Hire since 2005.

Hope that helps

Frankie the tech

Archived