Simple band wash

whitehousejamie

Hi All,

I'm starting to do quite a lot of small band lighting hires. I currently have a good selection on movers, Mac 300s and 250s, but are looking at a simple solution for a general band wash, instead of taking out Bars of 4 or 6, ideally with in built dimmers. Have tryed the 3 or 4 colour flood units in the past, which seem pretty poor. Maybe some sort of fresnel with built in dimmer?

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Have already got 6 LED Pars, they are nowhere near bright enough to light a full band.

But they're great for lighting white cyc drapes as a backdrop!

I can think of two other ways of doing it. The first is the easy one - Martin pro 400s - 4 on the front and 4 on the back truss and you'll be sorted, and they are quite a bit brighter than the LED pars.

The second would be by using the 6 channel dimmer bars from thomann, with 6 500W raylite pars on each one. I think that the power in is on 16A for each bar.

One of the most popular things we have is the good ol' 8 x Par56's with chaser unit. Great for dry-hiring to bands and they generally seem happy enough with that for the smaller gigs. You can also add in a couple of disco-type effects with sound-to-light trigger for a bit of movement.

Obviously, the scope if greater if you are supplying an operator.

Something like this might be what your looking for..

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/pa...jsp?sku=DP28551

Basically a par can with 3 575w HPL lamps in, with red green a blue filters & dimmers to control them. Light outputs not too bad (better than the 3/4 colour flood units, Icolour 4's etc..)

Look ok next to other pars and discharge movers..

Try Thomann for similar units, their on there for a cheaper price, don't have time to look now, sorry.

HTH.

Tom

It's pretty difficult to get much more simple than a Bar or 4 or 6. I would second the suggestion to look at DMX Dimmer Bars if your looking at simplifying setup and the amount of kit you have to carry round. Maybe scollers but this just complicates the control side of things.

Hi,

I have found this, http://www1.cyranehosting.net/terralec/pro...ER_4_x_500_WATT

with 2 or 4 of these I think that the band would be lit well, there are 4 x 500 watt bulbs, have DMX and could be rigged.

cheers

Ryan

Look at the O/P..

Have tried the 3 or 4 colour flood units in the past, which seem pretty poor.
Already been dismissed mate.

Never had a problem with them for certain tasks, but as stated the O/P has had problems with them so he asked for other ideas.

Tom

The typical lanterns to use would be Par56 or 64s I would have thought. But it depends on what size of venue, and the capabilities you want the lanterns to have.

I have used 650W Fresnels in the past, they worked well, and the variable beam size was useful for the smaller venues. One of the venues I do a lot of work in uses Strand Quartets for basic colour washes, they seem to be quite effective when they're hung from the FOH bar.

Obviously if you are wanting to use some form of moving fixture these aren't suitable, but it would be possible to use a colour scroller if you just want to be able to change colours.

The cost of Parcans (and Fresnels to some extent) is so low that it would be just as easy and cost effective to have set colours and a few more lanterns.

Archived