Radios, or cans?

P. Funk

Radios, or cans?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Radios, or cans?

• Radios
    • Cans (wired)

just wondering what your opinions were. one guy old me 'radios are the future' but I like wired cans better. going to hire some for my school show, and a couple of people are disagreeing with me. so I just wondered if you had any opinions...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wireless ones are probably best in most situations. I do however have a habit of losing everything without a cable.

EDIT: OK I'll be a bit more helpfull

Reasons for saying wireless is best:

1.No tangled wires

2.Ability to run and change lamp/fuse/turn without having to remember to take off or unplug headset

3.No risk of breaking stuff when walking/running off with headset on

4.No running cables for temporary use

5.Less cables in permanent instalation, less conections on patch panels, less thigs to break

Reasons against:

1.Got to remember to charge/replce batteries

2.Stupid people lose them

You need a poll option for "both".

LX ops, sound ops, followspots, DSMs, etc. need wired cans - no need for mobility, so no need for the expense of purchasing radio cans for people who aren't going to move anywhere (or the bother of charging up all those packs every day). Flymen, crew, ASMs, etc. need to be mobile, so radio cans are a good idea for them.

As Bryson has said, full-duplex radio cans are ideally the way forward. Failing that, then a set of Motorolas with headsets running into one of Mike Weaver's interface units, so that they link into your ring intercom (this isn't really full duplex, but it's almost as good ...).

how would you get the audio out of the cans and into the motorolas though?

Like I said, with one of Mike Weaver Communications interfaces. Basically, they're a rackmount unit which take a feed from the ring intercom, and transmit it on one channel of the Motorolas. Any radios that are switched to this channel continually received the audio from the cans ring. Until, that is, someone on that channel keys up their radio, at which point the interface goes into receive mode, takes the transmission from that radio and puts it onto the cans ring (including all the radios that are not TXing). The only snag is that any radio that's transmitting temporarily goes 'deaf' until transmission stops - apart from that it's a great system. I know of many companies and touring shows who use this piece of kit very successfully.

Wired cans for now.

Had quite a few problems with radios.

Been to one venue where they didn't have any cans and we ran the show via phones and I don't think it was an internal phone either. I didn't have hold music to put on whilst I went off to help with scene changes either...

in the past I've found that normal radios are not too bad for crew communication, but they are rubbish for cueing / FOH jobs - especially where you are not totally isolated from the auditorium soundwise. as soon as there is any ambient noise, you cant make out anything anyone says through radios either.

analog all the way!

I agree with the both option. Cans for cues for static operators, and radios for people who float about. One advantage is cans don't induct in monitors, sound kit (yes, I know they shouldn't in theory) etc. Radios do work when people 'just pop out' somewhere....

Radios are VERY useful for getins/rigging though. Radios tend to be (for good reason) push to talk - saves embarrassing conversations which you didn't realise you'd broadcast over cans :rolleyes: !

Archived