Green Ginger "DMX"

pete LD

Ive just been in to look at a school venue where I am lighting a show next year. They have a 24 ch green Ginger install dimmer rack that clams to be DMX, it has a 6pin din input and after googleing find that ,

PIN NUMBER

FUNCTION

1 Common

2 DMX 1 negative

3 DMX 1 positive

4 DMX 2 negative - unused

5 DMX 2 positive - unused

6 Supply Volts - positive

NB Cable screen should be connected to the outer shell of connector

(from Stagetec )

So is "DMX 1" standard DMX 512 ? I take it the supply volts are for there own desks? If I just bash together a 5 pin XLR to a 6 pin din and only connect pins 1, 2, and 3 should this work?

Just thought I would ask before I make one and try!

thanks

Pete

pete LD Posted Today, 12:46 PM

So is "DMX 1" standard DMX 512 ? I take it the supply volts are for there own desks? If I just bash together a 5 pin XLR to a 6 pin din and only connect pins 1, 2, and 3 should this work?

That sounds to me like the logical thing to do and it's what I would do but I am not certain having never seen the unit before maybe you could get in contact with the manufacturer and check?

Can't guarantee that your rack is the same, but we've done a couple of re-fits with Green Ginger racks and they are indeed compatible with DMX512. Only problem you may encounter depending on the desk your using is that the refresh rate may be a little high.

I may be wrong but, "Green Ginger" being quite elderly, they are unlikely to be directly controled by DMX512 via (5 pin XLR connectors). You will need some sort of Dmux unit. It is possible that it is already configured in the installation.

It sounds to me from your description that you have analogue controlled dimmers, that need an analogue output desk or a Dmux unit, for a digital output desk.

I hired GG dimmers from WL on numerous occasions, and I dont recall them ever having a DMX capability, the six channel models were all analogue on bleecon 8, and the four channel I think had bleecon 6, not certain, but I still have the jump cables in the garage somewhere I case I bump into one, the chances of which must be about zero.

I have used some of the models Pete is talking about (currently in drama school @ Concordia :( ) It is digital control. The only difference is it uses 6 pin Din to carry desk power. A 5 pin XLR -> 6 pin Din wired straight on the first three pins should be all that is required.

I have used some of the models Pete is talking about (currently in drama school @ Concordia :( ) It is digital control.

Thats quite embarasing as im the tec manager of the concordia thatre! shows how oftern I go in the studio theatre I didnt even know there where any dimmers in there!

colourwatt, they are old ish dimmers but they do only have a 6 pin input to control 24 channels so it must be multiplex of some sort! im going to make up a converter and give it a go and il post the outcome for other people comeing up againsed this problem!

thanks all

Pete Watts

This takes me back, used to work for Green Ginger years ago!

The product you are talking about is the Wallrack, which had the option of adding a 24 channel DMX demultiplexer card inside the bottom left side of the cabinet.

Yes, this is standard DMX and the info on our web site you quoted is correct.

Archived