Short West end run

Thirdtap

Shortest Theatrical Run

The shortest theatrical run on record was of The Intimate Revue at the Duchess Theater, London, on March 11, 1930. With the scene changes taking up to 20 minutes each, the management ditched seven scenes to get to the finale before midnight. Much of the audience walked out before the end.

From Guiness Book of records - online.

mike. ;)

When I was resident down the Avenue in the early 90's we had a production called "Map Of The Heart", which was William Nicholsons first play after Shadowlands. It opened on a thursday and the notice went up the saturday after. In all it lasted three weeks and three days, with shows pulled over the easter weekend to save bank holiday payments.

Around the same time a musical called Bernadette lasted as long at the Dominion. It was written by a couple of teachers from Stoke or somewhere like that and had failure written all over it. Unfortunately for the writers and their backers they never realised this and a lot of people lost a lot of money.

20 min scene changes sound a lot like my old school yr 7 production of Grease.

The VIth form drama students were doing it as part of their community service and had litteraly adapted the film version - including two line cut - away scenes.....

That didn't work with a full set...

James

I once went to see a show at a certain palace of theatre situated around the border between London and the North.

At the end of the first scene the house tabs dropped, the hse lights came up to half and what I assumed was a complicated scene change occurred. After about 3 minutes the curtain raised and.... a tea tray had been struck and one chair had moved, slightly.

The same thing happened at the end of every scene. I don't even remember there being much of a costume change either.

My first task when starting work for the company I am still with some years later was the get-out for Dorian Gray The Musical from the Arts Theatre. I started 10.00 Monday, the show had opened sometime in the preceding week, and closed on the Saturday.One reviewer wrote "Come back Always, all is forgiven". (I can't comment on the relevance of this remark, as I didn't see either of the two shows in question) I think it ran for 3 or 4 performances.

Back in the 80's I worked a fit up at the Adelphi for a show called Rosa, directed by Hal Prince

We started getting in the LX rig, as this was a transfer from the staes the place was soon awash with Lekos hired from TP.

About lunchtime the call came to stop unloading the trucks as White Light had offered a cheaper quote.

We continued with the TP gear and rigged all the LX. The next day in went various bits of scenery including a very large, multi level revolve.

About a week later rehearsals were due to start onstage, due to its complexity. Cast and stage management were duly assembled to be told the show had run out of money and was cancelled.

At this point negotiations for the Get Out started

Something fairly similar happened with "Tess Of The Durbervilles" not so long ago - but at least they managed to get a few performances in before they closed! A friend of mine was ASMing the show, and apparently one day they came into work to be told that the show was cancelled and that they should go home. Futhermore, they shouldn't bother turning up the next day, or any day after that, unless they had a call to say that the show was on. The call, of course, never came ...

I seem to remember a show in the West End circa 1982/3, called "troupador" (excuse the spelling) which ended before it started.

The reviews - all dreadful - came out after the previews, so when, on the first public night, the saftey curtain got stuck and wouldn't raise, everyone went home happy and the show crept off without further embarrasment.

Obviously not a Hall Stage winch...! :rolleyes:

Yes that was the film, the Musical that ran at the VP and about the romance between Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson.

Doh!!! I am sure I heard about a hyped stage musical version of the film that as you can tell didn't come to much...

Archived