Megastar Strobe

Nicktaylor

My strobe has worked fine and very well all the time I have had it. Now suddenly it flashes half a dozen times and then takes out the distribution board trip. I have not had a chance to look personally at the unit and try it out back at base. There does appear to be a problem with power in the hall where it is so I do wonder if it is down to the odd way strobes work with all the HT etc that is showing up an underlying problem in the hall!

Could be the location; some strobes (and I dont know if the Megastar is of this type) effectively just run the tube across the mains, and thus when the strobe fires there is a massive short term current demand, many tens of amps. If there is already a load through the breaker it may be enough to tip it over the edge.

First thing I would do is test on a different circuit to determine whether it is a trip or unit fault. My instincts tell me this will be and old/worn trip. Also, it is common for standard 'B' type trips to be fitted which are fine except for the high surge of strobes in which case 'C' or preferably 'D' type should be used. You can often hear B or C types struggling in the form of a clunk or click although the Megastar might not be powerful enough to do this.

You can often hear B or C types struggling in the form of a clunk or click although the Megastar might not be powerful enough to do this.

Yes I tested one of my strobes at home once, and could hear the trips clicking like mad.

I also found the the nearer the trip the socket was on the ring the more chance of it actually tripping out. I have a socket mounted next to the consumer unit, so only has about 50cm of wire. Using that socket made it trip instantly, where as the one in the kitchen (furthest away) was quite happy (although still ticking).

Ben

Archived