Taping mics to faces...

andysquibb

Okay, quick description of problem.

Small production. Small budget.

Trantec TS259 lapel mics with VHF radio packs

Couldn't pick up voices well enough with mics clipped to lapels (in case of the girls, top of dresses which are lower than ideal...)

Removed clips from lapel mics and taped to faces as I'm sure many people have done before about 1 inch from the side of the mouth using Micropore tape (the paper stuff). Plaster makeup on. Voila!

If only it were that easy. We've had problems tonight with tape peeling off because the makeup hiding the hideously white tape has been making faces greasy which has stopped the tape sticking.

Does anyone have any ideas on a better way of fixing the mics to the singers' faces? Ideas bounced around tonight include the glue that you use to put on fake moustaches but I'm not sure whether this will wreck the mics (or even work for that matter). Lots of singing and dancing so it's got to hold on well!

Does anyone have any ideas on a better way of fixing the mics to the singers' faces? Ideas bounced around tonight include the glue that you use to put on fake moustaches but I'm not sure whether this will wreck the mics (or even work for that matter). Lots of singing and dancing so it's got to hold on well!

DON'T use glue of any kind - you WILL live to regret it!!

Yes, this has been done to death elsewhere (see links above).

Another important thing to watch is NOT to get makeup inside the mic heads!!

I have used micropore in this way for years with no problems, the important thing to remember is that the skin must be clean and dry with no make-up or moisturiser on BEFORE the tape is applied. Then apply the concealer with a DAMP sponge, quite opposed to lifting the tape, this helps secure it and has served me well through some very sweaty performances (sorry)

Chip

Lots of ideas listed already...the only two I can add would be:

1. Clean the skin with an alcohol swab (the kind used pre-injection and available at any chemist) before applying which ever tape you find is best.

2. If none of the tape suggestions work for you, how about some home built mic booms. Several times I've fashioned this sort of thing from bent wire coathangers, heat shrink tubing and flesh coloured paint. I think if you do a bit of searching around the BR you may even find somebody's photo instructions for a version of this.

Bob

Toupe Tape works really well for keeping the mics attached, due to the normal environment that it is used in. I don't think we had to reattach a mic once during several runs of two productions. Put the lav cable down on the skin then take over the top. It's transparent anyway, but makup generally went over it.

Regards

Chris

2. If none of the tape suggestions work for you, how about some home built mic booms. Several times I've fashioned this sort of thing from bent wire coathangers, heat shrink tubing and flesh coloured paint. I think if you do a bit of searching around the BR you may even find somebody's photo instructions for a version of this.

If you're doing this, ballet shoe paint works a treat for painting the cables and wire! I've also had success using tape-covered wire bent around the ears, with the mic heads just off the top of them, so they sit on the jawbone. Tape-wise, I've always found Leukoplast is great - it's not a bad flesh colour (and if your cast have very pale or dark skin, you can put micropore on top of it and makeup over that) and it's good and sticky.

Archived