any help for a wanabe?

Hey, this is my 1st post ere and my main objective in life is to become a big LD. I know allot about DMX lighting,generics,automated etc and I have attended PLASA 2 years running now and am goin this year. I am aged 15 (16 in sept) and was wondering what kind of training there is for someone like me. Is there something for my age group? I Know most of these courses are for 16+ but I realyy wana get a head start before I do my technical drama GCSE! so any help or info would be apreciated.

many thanx

jon

Hey, this is my 1st post ere and my main objective in life is to become a big LD. I know allot about DMX lighting,generics,automated etc and I have attended PLASA 2 years running now and am goin this year. I am aged 15 (16 in sept) and was wondering what kind of training there is for someone like me. Is there something for my age group? I Know most of these courses are for 16+ but I realyy wana get a head start before I do my technical drama GCSE! so any help or info would be apreciated.

many thanx

jon

Moderation : moved to Training & Qualifications, 7/1/04 19:35

A-level theatre studies is probably your best bet, followed by a higher education course at one of the performing arts colleges. We have a number of members who are currently studying at places like Rose Bruford, LIPA, Central, Welsh College, etc. and can probably give you lots of useful insider info about the courses.

Oh, yeah, and most importantly, don't try running before you can walk! Spend some time getting to know the basics, and work from there. It's no good trying to design the biggest lighting rig in the world if you don't have a clue about how half the equipment really works, and what it can and can't do.

From my experience (im 17), the best thing you can do is to learn and work on as many things as you can.

Get involved in school plays, work experience and AMDRAMS.

I also did my GCSE drama in LX design, bare in mind that most of the examiners are relitive 'amatures' as far as teki things go: Don't over complicate your design and bare in mind you have to justify every gel you use and every light you hung.

If you need anyhelp with the GCSE feel free to PM me. (as an A* student) ;)

Don't over complicate your design

yeah I know someone who had a couple of marks taken off by the examiner as he thought their design was slightly overdone ;)

One thing to do is to try and find if any theatres near you employ young people (17+) on something like a years contract. I am currently doing this as an ASM. I have found that it has helped me alot in all aspects of theatre, and more importantly it really tells you if you want to carry on in this field of work - I have just worked 33 hours in 3 days with a 12 hour day tomorrow but I love it and wouldnt like it any other way!

best advice I can give is to be well armed with bucket loads of patience! :** laughs out loud **:)

I decided I wanted to be a lighting chappy when I was 14 ( lucky I guess I knew what I wanted to do so early)..... one book which I loved reading what Richard Pilbrows' book on stage lighting and assumed he was in his late 30's early 40's

So I also assumed it would take me a while to get where I wanted to get to.

Work hard - as mucha s you can starting NOW local theatres, paid or unpaid - get lots of experience and don't be tempted to go for a degree just cos you think you need one! there are lot of very talanted LD's out there who didn't even finish school....... a lot of LD who graduate from college and think they are qualified........ I have been doing this for 20 years now and still learning ;)

One other thing you may want to bear in mind, is that, if in the future you ever found yourself wanting to teach this subject, then I believe a degree is necessary however even if you went to be a technician in a school then a degree would take your salary up from a caretakers wage to a teaching salary.

But another thing to bear in mind is that higher education is always available later in life if you would not like to do it after your A levels or GCSE's.

Another thing I have learnt from personal experience, is that you should listen and take in any advice given to you from anyone that has worked in this buisness and people who have taken the route you are thinking of taking. I am not saying that you should always follow the advice given, including this, but in my (short) experience, I think you can pick alot from other that may change your outlook on your career path.

Anyway thats enough of the rambling on, hope you get to where you want to be but remember to keep pushing for any experience you can get!

All the best :blink:

Hello Sir.

Have you ever applied to the National Youth Theatre. They run a summer season and get people like you who are interested in working in theatre to run the technical departments on their shows.

I think most people who get in seem to have a good time there. They will be interviewing fairly soon for technical places so if your interested have a look at there web site.

Dazza :blink:

Have you ever applied to the National Youth Theatre. They run a summer season and get people like you who are interested in working in theatre to run the technical departments on their shows.

I think most people who get in seem to have a good time there. They will be interviewing fairly soon for technical places so if your interested have a look at there web site.

Seconded. Spend too much time in pubs, wander lost around London, go out a lot, meet some cool people and do the odd bit of theatre as well :blink:

Can be a bit pricey if you don't live in town but probably well worth it.

There are many routes each of many small steps. Start by looking for temp/casual work in am dram look at the so called am drams who put on seasons - Shakespeare at Stamford is one I've seen.

Look at CnG performing arts and lighting at City of westminster col (www.cwc.ac.uk) you could get CnG2360 at the same time try a sub to L&SI mag from PLASA. If you intend to go into academia later a degree is essential. If you go to interview ANY where they will ask for some experience even as just a gofer.

Jon,

What sort of theatre is it? I've had a quick look at their site and it's hard to tell! Does it to mainly amdram productions, small scale touring, large scale touring, (dredded) tribute acts?

Also, what kind of work do you do there? It could be if your there, and have your foot in the door, to keep with it and learn as much as you can, and do as much work as you can! (Don't skip lessons for Theatre tho, I did, and now I've only got 1 A Level :rolleyes:)

Stu

It's a proffesional theatre. We do touring nationwide during easter and one of our productions is in the west end "midsummer nights dream" (comedy theatre). I do all kinds there......today I de-rigged the whole of one of the studio's on my own and rigged a fly bar so I think I am doin pretty good there. I have been working there for about 1 year now. There are no amdram productions in the theatre.

jon

Archived