LED lighting

vinny baby

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say that LEDs are part of the future, but we're not there yet by any stretch of the imagination.

They do exist already!

Interesting.

Only 500 lumens less than a MAC300 - I'm impressed.

I'd like to see one of those in action - the thing I worry about is the lack of lens, so I expect the beam quality to be lower due to the light sources not being optically coincident. I've been annoyed by the CMY colour not being consistent throughout a MAC300 beam before, and I expect LED stuff to be worse.

Most uses I've seem for LED illumination use the LED unit itself as the effect, rather than the light produced by it - ie video walls or other self-lit surfaces.

If anyone's looked at the beam and pool produced by such devices I'd love to hear your impressions!

The beam appears blotchy at close range (due to the fact that its created from 3 sources instead of one) but the furthur you move away from it the better the mix becomes. True white, however, isnt achieved (in any that I've seen yet - Eyecolour, PixelPar, PixelLine). The brightness means that by the time you get far enough away to get a truely mixed colour, its not bright enough to be usable. But I haven't seen this new fixture mentioned above - perhaps thats a solution to the brightness problem. Also the 1W version of the Pixel Pars seems better than the initial model.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to drag a topic up but thought it would be better to post here than in a new one (if not please split mods!)

Just wondering if anyone knows a decent supplier of Pulsar ChromaStrips for hire so far pulsar have only been able to give me: AVC Productions (who have a very limites stock of them) and RML (who don't hire to theatre, only TV!). So any other places that stock them for rental??

Cheers,

Sam

Guest mattladkinlx

Just a few places to try...

Viking Lighting (Norwich) 01602 401982

Xtreme AV (Clacton) www.extremeav.co.uk

Gradav possibly

Whitlelight?

If not im sure Stage Electrics should have some (even if they will be fairly expencive!!!)

Why wont RML hire to theatre - surely a hire is money where ever it comes from?

Hi all.

My company manufactures a number of LED fixtures. The Abstract stuff is cool for a disco but has no real light output. We for example have managed to source 5mm LEDs which are the brightest available and used huge numbers of them 600+ per fixture. The bigegst thing with the LED stuff is the effects and patterns. We have spent months designing our effects engine as the complexity of many other systems is incredible!

All in all LED is the future but as yet its still a bit pricey but as a result has a good rental rate and if used correctly can look fab!

If your having a problem finding them have you thought of looking at similar products that might fill the spec?

What effect are you after and is there any reason that you want the chromastrips or is that just what you have used and know? I only ask as I have seen and used lots of very good LED kit that I would rate higher than the chromastrips for many applications but lots of people seem to stick with what they know rather than try other things.

I think I know the effect you are after, are you wanting to do much with them or are you just after strips of light?

what sort of width fixtures are you looking for? I was looking at some very good very bright LED strips just today, I cant remember the names of them at the moment but will post them when I have looked tomorrow, we are dealing in a lot of LED products at the moment at lightfactor and some of them may well do just what you want, I don't know who will have them for hire myself but I know that if we have them the sales team will be able to tell you who we have sold to that will hire them out.

I will post the details of what I was looking at as soon as I can but feel free to give us a call to see what might do the job if you want.

all the best

Ben Kovler

Lightfactor Service Manager

Archived