How much is that old Patt. 43 Worth?

MattH

One venue I worked in (before uni) was still using their entire stock of 'old' strand stuff

15 x Patt 123 (9 lamped at 650w, 6 lamped at 500w)

4 x Patt 264

10 x Patt 60

4 x Furse 4 circuit Battens

And that is their entire lantern stock. Running on two LD90s and an MX48.

The theatre up the road from me has a fairly large room which is their "lantern graveyard" - full of all the old stuff that formed the original stock of the building when it first opened in the 1970's that's only a generation or two in front of the stuff on that antiques site - Patt60s, 23s, 123s, 49s, 263s, S-types, etc.

A theatre I work at has the same kind of stuff, except we still use ours. Last rig I put up involved everything from Patt 76s and 123s to zoom SLs and source fours.

New year's rig

We had amongst many others...

1xP23 mk1

3xP23 mk1S

3xP23 mk2

1xP23F

4xP45

4xP123

6xP743

6xP764

1xP252

2xP833

and 2xP813 on standby for a special that couldn't work in the end!

Can you hear that noise?

Yep it is me kicking myself for chucking away some old Patt shells. Not much left on most of them cos with in accordance with Raven store laws we took off anything that 'just might be useful sometime'

Last year I had to have a chat with several amateur theatre users who were insisting that the rig they normally used was ' Obsolete'. The rig had some newer lanterns in it - Teatros and Selecons but they just didn't seem to like the ol' green kit. This was besides the fact that in another theatre not so far away we were using almost the same kit but without as many as new lights and we never got complaints about the kit or the lighting. Now it seems that the old Patt lanterns after around 15 ñ 20 years of full service are still worth more than the Teatros bought 8 years agoÖ

Now it seems that the old Patt lanterns after around 15 ? 20 years of full service are still worth more than the Teatros bought 8 years ago?

Urgh. I don't like Teatro lanterns much - anyone else used their half arsed attempt to make a cyc flood - with half a yoke?

Stu

• 3 months later...

'Lo

Back to this thread.

Got hold of some 123s now and I am looking in to getting them sprayed either chrome or bronze. Anyone have any tips or recommendations of companies who can do this?

The lights are for me to use at home with maybe an LED fixture inside. Well that is the plan otherwise I could just stick them in the cupboard in the sink and put them on ebay next year.

Thanks

Got hold of some 123s now and I am looking in to getting them sprayed either chrome or bronze. Anyone have any tips or recommendations of companies who can do this?

From experience, you can get a very highly-polished finish to a P23 or similar type lantern, that doesn't tarnish etc., without getting them chrome plated. Look in the Yellow Pages under 'metal polishers' for someone with a tumble-polishing machine.

I would never part with some of our patt23's and 743's but there is still a venue in Adelaide that has 3 Junior 8 rersistance dimmers on the wall and they still work. They make lovely sparks and keep the toast warm :wub:

I checked, and yes, they are Jim Laws specials. I thought people might like to read these comments, supplied by Jim. For what it's worth - I for one am very glad he keeps this stuff. It is very important to be able to keep old kit in use - very often it still has a place. I have to admit to having a pile of Patt 49 floods that can still save the day from time to time. Price wise - in A1 condition, much is actually quite cheap.

Jim says don't forget.......

You have to have (which means sometimes having to make) the spares &

stockpile the bulbs & to know about AND carry BA & Whitworth screw

threads in various bolt configurations.

You have to be geared up for safety bonding & testing, where sometimes you are installing an earth for the first time.

Lens guards, anyone?

They take up a lot of space that others might (for instance) want to use

to run their clockwork trains.

Quite a lot of what Emporium carries of mine is Film or TV lighting,

which has up to 20" lenses.

Archived