Disco light connector thing?!

Ike

Today I have been PAT testing some kit at a local pub which included some disco lights using multi-pole mains connectors. There are however two problems with these:

1, There is no current/voltage ratings on them and I have no idea what they are.

2, All cable mounted connectors appear to be shrouded plugs and all panel mounted connectors sockets. i.e. cables have two male connectors the possibility of having a live, unconnected plug and also connection of two sources together.

Thanks

cables have two male connectors the possibility of having a live, unconnected plug

If the male connector is not fully shrouded to the extent that it's not possible to make contact with the current-carrying parts, then I'd have thought that's a PAT fail right away.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/1386i0.jpg

Just found a pic on the maplin website, who only seem to sell panel mounted sockets and cable mounted plugs. The connector is shrouded to the extent that my fingers will not reach live contacts, smaller objects on the other hand may.

Ah, the old 8-way Bulgin ... very common on cheap-n-cheerful disco lights ...

I suppose you could say that the shrouding around the connector is sufficient to prevent contact with the pins and allow it through the PAT test. Not sure I'd like to be the one putting it to the test in a courtroom, though ...

I didnt think these fell under the PAT inspection, I was always told that theres no means of testing them, and therefore, exsempt from the test.

Just because you can't test it doesn't mean it shouldn't be tested. You may need to make up an adaptor box but it should certainly be tested. AFAIK there are NO exemptions to PAT testing, if something is mains powered it needs testing.

If the male connector is not fully shrouded to the extent that it's not possible to make contact with the current-carrying parts, then I'd have thought that's a PAT fail right away

If the connector is sold as a mains connector and Bulgin have the necessary approval certificates then it'll be fine. To check for contact 'touchability' you use a 'Standard Finger'.

Consider for a moment something like a 63A CEEform, the holes down to the contacts on a socket are pretty large, the contacts are probably as touchable as those on the Bulgin 'disco' connector.

PAT testing does not require you to second guess the original equipment designers. If the equipment is recent, in its original condition and CE marked then you should not need to make any modifications.

As for the Bulgin connectors, you can get cable mounted sockets, see their website Bulgin Website for PX0596/S although very few people use them.

• 1 month later...

sorry jus had to post this one...

quoted from the bulgin website:

This long established series of connectors still find many uses where small, but lower current connections are needed.

The range consists of circular and rectangular styles with 3, 4, 6 and 8 poles, in a choice of configurations, with current ratings up to 6 Amps.

The 8 pole round has become the standard connector for the disco and lighting industry and is available in cable and chassis mounting versions.

since when was this a standard in the lighting industry????? :angry: :angry:

hmm maybe they mean cheap disco equipment...

since when was this a standard in the lighting industry????? :angry:  :angry:

Only a few years ago, when the Patt 23 was a good, modern lantern.

Ahh...the perspective of age. :(

BTW, the Bulgin connectors, including those on Le Maitra pyroflash systems are CR@P, but common.

since when was this a standard in the lighting industry?????

Since Pulsar put them on Minipaks!?!

Visual test to one side, electrically they can pass, just test with the chaser unit, cable and light box as three tests. Or so the examiner told me when I took C&G 2377 PAT testing this year! :angry:

Brings back memories of lightscreens and traffic lights!!

The old standard was panel mounted sockets and cable mounted plugs. Recently Bulgin made the panel mounted plug and cable mounted sockets available, to satisfy PAT and like testing. The connectors by bulgin are 250V 5 or 6 amp mains rated

The wiring is likley to be in 7 core 5A rated flex

and likley though not certainly to be wired

pin........... purpose

1 Earth

2 Chan 4

3 chan 3

4 chan 2

5 chan 1

6 NC

7 Neutral

8 Neutral

Channel current should not excede 2.5 A as there are only two neutrals to carry the current. Some four way adaptor boxes use a pcb inside which connects pin 6 to Earth.

Recent thoughts were that the cables should be made plug to socket and appliances alterred to suit. new cables are plug to socket in the shops.

With that wiring, total current of the four things you have plugged in should not exceed 5 amps, as you only have one earth core.
The wiring is likley to be in 7 core 5A rated flex

and likley though not certainly to be wired

pin

You should only draw 5A per circuit because it's 5A cable!

Edited to clarify

With that wiring, total current of the four things you have plugged in should not exceed 5 amps, as you only have one earth core.

Slightly playing devils advocate here but what makes you think that the total load is limited by the size of the earth conductor?

In a 3 phase installation the earth conductor is only the same size as any of the line conductors ie one third of the total load.

In a 4 sq mm T&E installation cable the earth conductor is only 1.5 sq mm.

In a 4 sq mm T&E installation cable the earth conductor is only 1.5 sq mm.

and because of this a lot of buisness premises / venues will not alow the use of twin and earth. the regs state that up to about 10mm the earth should be the same size as the phase

anywat back on topic , when testing these conectors be aware that the pins in the panel mount connectors can over time move so they are slightly proud or flush with the plastic rather than slightly recesed.

it's easy to miss and easy to get a shock if you pick up a controler that is on but has no lights connected yet, or brush past a link on connector when it is in use

Archived