Colourblind

Andy!

I think it's going to much harder for a colour blind person to be a good LX. However adversity often causes ordinary people to excel.

Beethoven produces some of his best work after he was deaf, can you imagine a deaf composer trying to convince a record company to listen to his work?

On the other hand there are thousands of deaf people who couldn't compose for toffee.

I think in reality the colour blind person is going to have to be above average to do an average job needs to be realised by both parties. If the colour blind person is willing to put in the extra effort they can make (or exceed) the mark, if not they will be a burden on their employer.

A company I know had two types of electrical contacts for the switches they used, red for normally closed and green for normally open. They hired a switch fitter and subsequently discovered he was red/green colour blind. His error rate was way above the normal and he was unable to find a suitable work around (I don't know why he was unable to label the tray he lifted the switches from or similar but for some reason he wasn't). So the company and the employee agree to re-locate him to stores where it wasn't an issue. Fortunately this alternate position existed. However if it hadn't what should the company have done? Continued to allow this individual to compromise the quality of their product? Lay him off?

Do you really want blind air traffic controllers or blind pilots? Some disabilities can be worked around in some positions, others can not.

Go read the book http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0575074493.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm not mistaking incompetence and disability but sometimes they both lead to the total inability to do a job well or safely

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have thought that we all wanted the theatre/entertainment industry to reflect the society that creates it.#

If we can use the technology we have to enable a broader more inclusive making of theatre then so much the better - frankly, I've seen so much tosh put on by male, middle-class, white, two-armed,(though often legeless), Cambridge graduates that surely it's time to look for other views on/ways of making theatre?

We had a guy who applied to do EEE at Derby that was blind. What his application did was to make us focus our minds on what we actually did - for example, how could we teach him soldering? Could we teach soldering better/in another way? What's wrong with that?

Do I want a blind ATC? No, not at this moment. Should we keep looking at what an ATC does in the light of technological developments? Yes, of course.

Ken

Well as I work for the same company. and had ( he has since died aged 49) a colleague who could not move into being a trainee assistant picture edeitor because he was colour blind (rather had a red/green issue), I stand corrected. I know that I could not have joined as a trainee 22 years ago if my hearing and colour vision was correct.

Archived