AVI file with noisy soundtrack

Chris Beesley

Hope this fits the section etc! I need a little advice as digital video is not my strongpoint - I helped video a conference recently and the camera's have picked up quite a bit of audio noise, mostly around 5-10K ... is there any software (PC format please) that I can use to edit this out? If I could run it thru some kind of graphic I would be able to loose most of it. I know its a little rough to just create "holes" in the audio spectrum but the video will be compressed right down after editing so actual quality is not important ... all that matters is cutting out most of the background noise.

Thanks

Chris B.

(non-CPC post)

Audacity can pull the audio stream out of most video formats, but you may get the odd "spike" of pink noise - fairly obvious and easy to remove.

Not sure what causes it, but it's not bad for free software.

It even managed to get it out of a Quicktime movie - Meesa impressed!

Adobe Audition is great for this kind of work, even better if you have Adobe Premiere as you can export directly and any changes you make in audition will be reflected in Premiere when you save the audio file, making life much easier.

Adobe Audition is great for this kind of work, even better if you have Adobe Premiere as you can export directly and any changes you make in audition will be reflected in Premiere when you save the audio file, making life much easier.

It can also be the default sound editor in Vegas.

If you're looking for a freeware solution then virtualdub (mpeg2 edition) will extract a wav file from the AVI. You can remove noise and clean it up with audacity then put the resulting cleaned up wav back in using virtualdub. I have no experience of professional quality software but reasonable results can be achieved in this way.

Archived