Further Education...

The universities generally find that the older people are, the more they are probably giving up to do the course, the more they really want to be there, and the more commited they are to staying! It is perhaps more difficult to integrate older people into the the mainly younger crowd, but it usually works.

Some of my best students were "mature". They occasionally gave me a few headaches, but often showed up the younger students with their desire to make it work. Somehow, the success they achieved seemed so much sweeter - perhaps the cost of what they gave up to study made success so much more worthwhile....

Over the years I have had quite a few mature students, As Simon says, what they had to give up to come to college was considerable - the one thing they have is commitment. They work harder, appreciate why they have to do some of the more 'dull' elements and don't have the 'it will do' mentality - I'm not being harsh, but the system at school seems to be so pressured, that as soon as a pre-arranged quality threshold is reached, it is stopped and everyone moves on. So they get used to never working to their limit - it isn't required. Mature students, in my experience, have problems with this superficiality. I'd rather have a group of mature students, any time.

Archived