Northern Lights

Illuminatio

Throwing an idea here:

What about Optie's??? Optikenetics like the solar 250 have really cool effect wheels on them - get an oil wheel one with suitable oil colours stretched out from the side of the cyc nicely mixed in with the dark colours of the cyc (for night sky).

I would be tempted to rig movers in the wings almost in line with the cyc. Shallow angle use of frost filter with gobos could work nicely. As always depends on budget/inventory/rigging capability but you could probably get away with just one either side. This might be the only time I promote the use of 'intelligents'!

I'd be more tempted to position the movers behind the cyc on the floor and point them up, then again the OP said cheaply so unless the OP already has movers it may not be an option,

I'll have a look at my pictures of the lights later and see if I can come up with any other suggestions

Have a look inside a Waterwave (cheap) at how they move one disk of shower screen glass beside a fixed piece of shower screen glass, to see how animation is achieved. Try the Waterwave on a shallow angle from each side of the cyc, so the effect is horizontal. If the Waterwave's colours don't work, see if you can fit one of Darkfold's funky gobo's into the Waterwave, to give you the nice streaky colours.

Try using linear breakup gobo's and an animation disc from a couple of profiles either side, keep them really close to the cyc and light across (as others have suggested)

Knock the edge off a hard focus, and try split colour as well.

Will be cheaper than getting movers in, and can look absolutely stunning (also a good for simulating moving clouds)

hope this helps,

ror

Archived