How do you set your prompt book up?

Left, or right?!  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Which way do you set your prompt book up?

• Script on left side of page, cues on right
    • Cues on left side of page, script on right

I tend to have script and only the script! I then use a green and a red/pink highlighter, pinky one for standby and green for GO. I usuallyprint the script so that the script is A5 printed on A4 paper, allowing space at the sides to write what I am standbying and what I am cueing to GO. I find the highlighters work well, as my working light is congo blue, which makes the highlighters really stand out on the page.

What happens if you need to move a cue?! I dislike writing cues into my book in anything except pencil, because things sometimes change. Do you put script on both sides of the page?

Sorry, failed to mention, the highlighted bits are the final cues after the dress. I only have script on the left side with a blank piece of paper on my right, which I use only if necessary. Should I need to change a cue, then yes it does get a bit messy, with lots of arrows everywhere, but as yet I have still been able to cope! I might need to change my style should I find that it gets too messy in the future.

I use the script on the right hand side and cues on the left, and tend to sit with it resting on my legs so the spine is between my legs. This way I can follow the script and prompt when needed (my main task when SMing), and easily see the cues for when needed

• 1 month later...

I tend to have my cues on the LHS as I write them on the back of the previous sheet. I however also use highlighters as this tends to make it easy for me to make my instructions to the LX and FX operators clearer. This does cause a problem though if the cues are edited or removed totally as I have to do a new page.

Lewis

Script & score on the right hand page for a cueing book (as opposed to a blocking book) especially for a musical where you may be following the score with your right hand (if you're right handed) and have probably written the cues directly onto the score as well as on the opposing page. I always have blocking in a seperate bookfor a musical as there isn't room for both in the same book. If I can be bothered to do it with script on the left hand side then I find that makes prompting and doing blocking simultaneously a lot easier.

Putting cues on post it notes (the small ones or the narrow tab ones) also helps as you can move them around the book until the show has settled down. You can use different coloured ones for different departments.

• 2 weeks later...
I always have blocking in a separate book for a musical as there isn't room for both in the same book.

I'm just about to open a show (not a musical, but a large-cast show) where I've used the two-book method for the first time, and I've decided I really like it. I'm pretty picky about my cueing scripts - I like them to be very clean and tidy - and this particular show had big cuts in it and so the original script was messy. I put blocking into the original script (as much as anything so I had the same page numbers as everyone else) and retyped the script with the cuts taken out for my calling script - also meant I could space it at line-and-a-half which I find makes it much easier to read when calling. I think for future shows this will be my new method! Maybe not for the next one, which is a simple four-hander, but I follow that with The Producers and I think that's definitely going to be a two-book job!

Yes, there's a great deal to be said for having an electronic version of the script available to you, so that you can edit, respace and reprint as necessary for your calling book. It's often available to you on a new show anyway, but I've been on old shows where the director has scanned an entire script, converted it to Word and then emailed it to me. It's a huge help. You can also type directly into the script any relevent blocking that you'll need for cues - handy if there's a big section coming up that relies on visuals. You can just slot them in nicely.Of course it also means you can delete any redundant stage directions (some of them go on for pages!).

As for blocking: I find on large scale musical productions I really need sufficient blocking to get me out of the rehearsal room and through a tech. After that, it's never opened again because the Resident Director, Choreographer and Dance Captains are responsible for training up understudies, swings and cast changes and they work from their own books and archive recordings. The SM blocking is usually hugely out of date by press night. On a play, however, I find my blocking does serve a purpose for understudy rehearsals. But then, on most plays you have a lot more time to update it.

• 5 months later...

I always set mine up with the script on the left as I am right handed, and so want (in my opinion) the most important part on my right side, the Qs for the show, and the blocking for rehearsal, I only ever use pencil unless its a long running show and then the very occasional Q is highlighted, but generally far too pedantic about the way the book looks to use coloured pens!

Everyone is different though, and it's up to the individual DSM for sure! :D

I always set mine up with the script on the left as I am right handed,

That's the way I was taught - it's tricky to write stuff right-handed with the metal rings of a folder in the way (if you set out a book the other way around) .

I must say, that I always have my script on the RHS and my cues on the LHS, I don't know why, maybe it's because I'm a piano player and I always turn the right side of the sheet music, if thats makes any sense. Anyway thats how I do it!

I like to have the script on the R.H.S too...funnily enough though I also prefer to have the cues written on the actual script?!?! all cues and notes are on the left obviously, but I still prefer to call off the script.

again its a personal preference but when I'm calling a show, in particular a musical, a Panto or a show that has a LOT of cues I find that refering to the left sometimes breaks my rhythm. Usually I only refer to the left if I have a bit of time before cues .

I think the most important thing when it comes to doing up your prompt book is that its clear, concise, easily read and easily handed over!!

I once had to take over a show that had only been open over a week and when I saw the prompt book I nearly died. I think the only blessing for me was that I actually got to see the show when it first opened so had an idea of it..but to be honest the prompt script did me no favours.

I suppose I should have been thankful that they actually put the cues into it but with regards to any other info...sadly not? I actually relied more on the guys, who had been opping the show, then I did on the book to call it!

when I handed the show back over mind you they got a lovely present of an up to date and cleaned up prompt script! I think I was too generous! ;)

it also made me think a little more about my own scripts and how I mark them up..now I mark them up for myself principally but always keep in mind the person who may find themselves calling my show because something en-expected has happened to me..like..ermm..oh I don't know..maybe I've been abducted by aliens...killed by a stampede of cows..or am at deaths door?because unfortunately it seems that these are the only acceptable reasons for not being able to continue with the show? :)

it's also now made me think about anyone else's horror stories when it came to taking over a show?

I normally put the script on the left hand side it works more smoothly that way becasue you read from left to right, so you see the line in the script then the ruled line over to the cue.

however the last book I did for a short production only a week long had the script printed on both sides so sometimes I had the cus on the left and on the next page they were on the right.

Rowan

Archived