Radio Mics

willpower

By my calculations, for LSOH (which is probably one of the largest productions we're going to do), we'll need about 10 radio mics so all the principles will have ones on them leaving 3 for more minor roles to be switched around between when they have singing solos. I like the idea of buying more mics and switching the units around, but this does cause problems with the eq, so will probably hire 3 of my schools radio mics to make up for it - problem solved. Have found a source of 5 or 6 Sennheiser ew100 G1 series radio mics that I'm interested in due to the fact we have these at school (I think).

Just totted up what it comes to so far: £3164 without rackmounted flight case, cd player and various leads including a multicore which I really like the idea of. That was; 2 Mackie 450s, the afore mentioned sennheiser g1 mics, an SM58, and a Soundcraft Spirit FX16 mixer.

I was supposedly given a budget of £3000, but I think I can push it up a bit.

getting back to the original question - I know nothing of the Soundlab mic, but on paper it seems a reasonable spec. It may well benefit from a capsule upgrade. However, the brand name doesn't scream "quality product"... it certianly won't be G3 quality. But then again, I could be completely misjudging it. What we really need is to hear from someone who has actually tried them!

similarly, Thomann have recently launched a budget UHF range, at around 75 pounds per unit! Only four frequencies, all in the unlicensed range, although it looks like there are various other frequency options.

Has anyone actually tried any of these units?

I was supposedly given a budget of £3000, but I think I can push it up a bit.

Oi! Don't spoil our fun! In your first post you said:

I have an overall budget of about £4000,

Back to the detail, I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Evolution 100 series and they would be an easy model to rent more off and keep them identical. The Soundcraft FX16 is a pretty decent mixer for the money...if you did have more, I might change up to an A&H Mixwiz for the better EQ though.

One addition I might well suggest would be a graphic EQ between the mixer and the speakers.

As for the Soundlab or Thomann RF systems, I'd be wary of them unless I could get a full demo of as many channels as you may ever need. One of the areas where cheaper mics tend to fall down is in terms of Intermod interference...the better the electronics, the more channels you can wedge into the "UK General" spectrum frequencies.

Bob

Archived