Backcloths

Suzette

I don't know if this is possible or not ..... an amateur company I work with has 3 backcloths (all about 40' x 20') which have been painted many, many times.

They are now fairly thick with paint and do not fold very well - and the paint cracks, which upsets the designer!

Is there a method of getting the old paint off easily? As this amateur company doesn't have a great deal of money (they keep giving it all away to charities!) I'm thinking that getting a company to do it may be expensive - but are there any companies that do such a job? They would need to be London area as they are so heavy with paint they would cost a fortune to transport.

If we did it ourselves are we looking at needing a large space and lots of water and then somewhere to dry it for a few days...!!!! Do you think a dry cleaning company would clean it???

(And I'm sure someone will post this ... but yes I have thought about the re-fireproofing after it has been cleaned - that's another problem to be dealt with!!!)

EDIT - it is only emulsion paint or water based scenic paint - nothing fancy!

Water base paint ought to come off, emulsion ought not to. But it's going to be a lot of work. I've cleaned cloths before with a car park, a hose and some brooms. But it never works that well. Could they not treat themselves to one new cloth a show for the next few shows. By my reckoning there's no more than £150 for the material in each cloth. Yes, they'll have to make them up themselves but it'll be less work than cleaning the old ones.

Water base paint ought to come off, emulsion ought not to. But it's going to be a lot of work. I've cleaned cloths before with a car park, a hose and some brooms. But it never works that well. Could they not treat themselves to one new cloth a show for the next few shows. By my reckoning there's no more than £150 for the material in each cloth. Yes, they'll have to make them up themselves but it'll be less work than cleaning the old ones.

I'll second Brian's point - new cloths from Whaleys (Bradford) come in at just over £100 plus vat for a 30 x 16 ft cloth, c/w pocket and ties. Even if they bought a new one every 2 or 3 shows it has to be better than trying to clean them off....

TD

Archived