Sky High Pyros

Bob in Derby

Hello folks

Just after a bit of feedback if anyone has any to give!

We have a number of Sky High pyros in the panto that we have at our venue. In house we always use Le Maitre, but the Prod. Co. have specced / supplied Sky High - so this is what they are using (but with adpators for our Le Maitre firing system)

There have been numerous misfires with 10sec silver gerbs, culminating last night in a gerb blowing out sideways through the casing (fortunately the "blast" headed upstage, but it made the Brownies jump!)

I've not got batch numbers to hand at the moment, but I wondered if anyone else had encountered "batch" problems / individual problems with Sky High stuff. Obviously faults do occur in all products, but the run of misfires (total no show of FX) then "exploding" pyro make me ask the question as I have no previous experience of this make.

Cheers for any info anyone can give

Bob

Re. the misfires - have you checked the contacts on your firing pods, Bob? Just a thought, but perhaps one or two of them are a little corroded. Was there a pattern as to which pod(s) the misfires occured in? OR was it 'random'?

Re. the casing failure - I think this is something you should definitely bring to Skyhigh's attention. I realise that this is something you've probably already looked at, but was the cartridge stored correctly and mounted/used according to the instructions? Could there have been any possibility of the cartridge being damaged before use (e.g. getting dropped onto a hard surface, or suffering from a small puncture from a sharp object)? If not, then it sounds like it could be a manufacturing defect which Skyhigh should certainly be made aware of.

Over 5 panto runs (and numerous other shows) I've only had a handful of failures/problems. These were tracked down to a combination of dodgy cartridges(where one of the two pins didn't contact the firing base as well as it could), and a new base which had a touch of grease around the contacts.

I'd echo Gareth's comments about telling them about the casing failure though.

Glyn

I should say this is with Sky-High Pyros. I've suffered many more with Le Maitre systems on the tours that visit us.

Cheers for replies fellas

Already reported to Sky High...

mis (none) fires were random pods (so poss. contact / movement problem between adaptors during loading?)

Gerbs are stored in their original packaging in secure pyro storage area and taken straight to pods for direct loading so damage to pods is doubtful (I would hope pyro loader was checking as they went!)

As I said - no previous experience with the Sky High kit, so the question was just for a bit of background (no "anti" message intended for any mfr's!)

If we glean anything useful / interesting I'll post further news.

Cheers Bob

Archived