help on desks

nunny

Hi there

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on a small compact DMX desk with approx 12 faders and a simple ability to program a couple of chases say for example a simple 6 way par can chase simple enough that the best man at a wedding can use.

Many times we get asked to provide "simple but good" band lighting, throw 2x 6way par cans up along with another 6 ways of house dimming and the client aren't prepared to pay for an operator.

Ive been given this task many times and in the past have opted to use a zero88 xls or even sometimes sirrius 24.

Although these desks have served a great purpose for the last 200 years they seemed to have lived they are looking mightily battered not to mention the physical size of the thing sat in the corner taking the whole venue space up..

I was wondering what would be the best successor to this.

I find the zero88 stuff great unless it gets powered down then trying to explain to the client how to load the chases int the playbacks a little too much.

My aim is in the first line. Simple and compact

Many thanks

Also have a look at the ETC Smartfade.

Comes with pretty multi-coloured buttons and instant access to four chases, with a 'Magic' function to instantly create quick flashy chases.

Keeps all programming when switched off, show backup is to an SD card.

It also uses a non-standard 3-pin connector for DMX, will come with no support whatsoever, and as it's showtec, will probably not actually have a usable instruction manual.

I can get away without the manual for an LED parcan or a starcloth, but I want one for a console!

Don't underestimate the value of support - if you get a Jester or a Smartfade you can phone or email the manufacturer for help and repairs.

Showtec don't do that, and never have.

It also uses a non-standard 3-pin connector for DMX, will come with no support whatsoever, and as it's showtec, will probably not actually have a usable instruction manual.

I can get away without the manual for an LED parcan or a starcloth, but I want one for a console!

Don't underestimate the value of support - if you get a Jester or a Smartfade you can phone or email the manufacturer for help and repairs.

Showtec don't do that, and never have.

I have 2 showmaster 48's, which have a passable manual (enough to teach you everything you need to know), and a very very easy to use chase/ S2L function.

If you want simple then you can't do much worse.

Archived