Distressing a pendant

pritch

For a show that's coming up, I've got a bare GLS lamp on a pendant fitting centre stage. The effect isn't quite right, as it looks a bit too safe for the environment the show is set in.

So, I need to somehow make it look old, unsafe and a bit tatty, without actually making it unsafe (especially seeing as if anyone gets a shock off it, it'll be me!)

Suggestions, anyone?

Could you possibly make the rose look like it's falling off, but have it discretely secured, so it's safe, but doesn't look it....

There's no rose, it's dangling out of the grid. If we had a ceiling on the set, I'd be tempted.

Get some fibre braid to clad the cable in, and put some strategic rips and tears in it.

I was thinking that, actually. More specifically, I was thinking about cotton covered cable, the sort that you get attached to irons and electric fires.

I'm fairly sure I chucked some of that stuff in a skip the other day. Oh well. :stagecrew:

I would dilute some contact adhesive to 4 parts of thinners and spray the cable with it, using a spray gun, this gives you a cobweb look which you can also put in the corners of the set.If you have the gear its a really good look.

Depending on how crazy you want to be, last time we got some really thick cable and pulled the innards out leaving an empty sheath, we then knackered this and tore it and what not.

After doing so we got some thinner stuff and threaded it through the inside, voilia, looks like knackered cable, but in actual fact the real cable is on the inside with its insulation / sheath still in perfect condition.

Archived