Looking for cheap starcloth hire...

Stuart91

We're looking to hire some starcloth for some shows taking place over the Christmas period. The cloth would go in at the start of the month and come out after New Year.

Basically the room is 80ft x 80ft, with the walls 14ft high. We don't need any support, just the cloth itself. (Plus controllers) We've been given a fairly tight budget to meet. It had been previously agreed with another company, who have now badly fallen out with the promoter.

The obvious place to look is S+H, and I've got a quote from them but it would go about 40% over budget. I don't doubt that they are value for money etc. - I've used their products before and have been very pleased - but I need to try and find something cheaper. Had a good trawl round the floor at Plasa but didn't find anyone else.

Wonder if anyone out there can suggest any good places to chase up?

Thanks,

Stuart

AFAIK Hawthorn's have a large stock of starcloths for hire which I've used for shows before. Might be worth checking with them. I think they have a rental catalogue/website online with prices - I don't know how much they cost us, I only rigged them... :rolleyes:

We're looking to hire some starcloth for some shows taking place over the Christmas period. The cloth would go in at the start of the month and come out after New Year.
I always use a guy local to me - Showtech (have punted him a few times here). He's got a wide selection of ShowLED star cloths with DMX controllers. Give him a shout.

TD

Happening to have a copy of Hawthorn's catalogue on my desk, their star cloth prices are as follows...

8m Wide x 4.15m Drop - £95 per week.

Controller for up to 8 cloths - £80 per two weeks

Worth double-checking the prices as I'm not sure how old this catalogue is. Gives you a quick idea though...

Steve

Happening to have a copy of Hawthorn's catalogue on my desk, their star cloth prices are as follows...

8m Wide x 4.15m Drop - £95 per week.

Controller for up to 8 cloths - £80 per two weeks

IIRC, Hawthorns are still pea bulb, are they not?

But to compare with Showtech, the last I paid for a 7 x 5m LED cloth (including DMX controlled controller) was approx £75 plus VAT.

You could try the company I work for. We stock LED cloths in 10 x 16 or 10 x 24 ft sizes. These cost £50 and £60 + VAT per unit per week. Transformers for these are dependant on the number of cloths you would need to power. These clothe can be hung sideways as well. If you PM me I can let you have further details.

Hope this helps,

Regards

If this xmas is like any other xmas you won't get any star cloth out of hawthorns for love money or piles of cash, they usually have their full stocks out... And I believe their full stock would more than fill an artic or two... And yes they still have pea light cloths, by far the most starry looking cloth available...

P.

And yes they still have pea light cloths, by far the most starry looking cloth available...

Interesting statement - have you seen a decent LED cloth?

I've used Hawthorns' pea bulbs as well as other suppliers, but having used LED's now I wouldn't go back!

These LED cloths have 10 channels out of the controller, and the controller is a FRACTION of the weight of the hugely heavy transformers I've always had supplied. They also have stand-alone programmes, or can be DMX controlled either by individual channel programming or by manipulating the on-board settings. If an LED dies (or gets trodden on!)it's a simple case of plugging in a replacement. (You can change the colour of the LED's that way, too). The cloths I've hired in are also a heck of a lot lighter as the wiring used is lower guage, meaning there's less drag on the material thus you can use lighter cloths.

For the old pea bulbs, it used to take 2 or 3 people ages to hang, and set up. With these LED cloths I can almost do it solo in around 15 minutes start to finish.

I think I upset the Gentlemen at Showtec once. The company pulled out of an order right at the last minute when payment was nessicary. I was breathing down their necks to sort it as was the gent from showtech but they never did and rubbished my name as I was the point of contact.

Interesting. Tell me more (by PM, preferably, as I don't think it wise to repeat negative comments in public!)

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll drop Hawthorn a line in the morning. The fact that we need this for the whole of December is a bit of a problem since it's the busiest month of the year for Starcloth.

This is what astounded me about the other company that had previously been involved in this jopb - they were letting their cloth out for a song, at the busiest time of the year.

• 1 month later...
Hi;

not too sure where you are located but we have a good amount of fibre optic starcloth in 3x3m panels with lightsources, I'm out of the office for a short while but if you give Alex a call on 07000 547843 I'm sure he'll be able to sort you out a good price etc.

Also try ESP in letchworth hertfordshire. They own absolutely tons of it and have enough to kit out the tent in battersy if any one knows how big it is please feel freee to say. I think its something like 200ft x 50ft and oh they have enough to do the whole ceiling as well. Give them a call on 01462 482411 and ask for david.

Archived