Building a monitor rack

adamburgess

Hello!

I'm thinking about putting a monitor rack together for my band. I'm on keyboards so obviously the most technically minded ;)

Our slightly inexperienced sound-man is doing lights aswell at the moment and he finds it hard it pick up on our signals if anything's dodgy monitor-wise.

We have a Chevin power-amp (for wedges) and a Behringer DI800 (8ch. DI box) in a rack at the minute and I have a 1U punched rack panel in front of me. I also have a Behringer MX2004A rackable mixer for a monitor mixer (which I like better than the newer ones - just to get a Behringer comment in) Does this set-up look ok? I could knock this up before next weekend. (Hope the link works…)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/adam...nitor-Setup.gif

Both the Behringer and our FOH Yamaha only have global phantom. Would it be ok to use FOH desk for it - as not every channel using phantom would be going into the mons desk? Drum mics etc.

Thanks for looking!!

Adam

Adam,

Cool diagram!

Like Seano says, phantom shouldn't be a problem, but make especially sure that mons and main o/ps are muted before anyone plugs or unplugs mics or splits. Two desks - twice the possibilty to turn your speakers inside out.

I don't know where you plan to use the Edacs, but whilst they're economical, they are best suited to installation use or maybe inside a rack, where they won't get mated and unmated very frequently. A bit delicate and prone to damage if used say on a main snake.

Good luck with it.

Pete.

Pete, the EADCs are going to be the FOH rack<>desk: 6xcomps/4xgates/3xFX (cos the tippex is wearing off the dodgy patch leads). And the main multi - cos we now have a decent dog-house to make it worthwhile. It will save 20 minuets (3/4 dance) on set-up time easily.

Thanks for looking

Adam :rolleyes:

In applications where it's my own kit and I can be pretty sure that somebody gentle (i.e. ME!) is going to do the plugging, I'd probably use EDAC but that's largely force of habit. Two other connectors to consider which are probably a bit tougher for touring are Harting and Litton Veam.

There are quite a few threads already discussing this aspect...I'd suggest a quick BR search on "multipin connectors".

(Although my single sentence above pretty well sums up what you'll find!)

Bob

In applications where it's my own kit and I can be pretty sure that somebody gentle (i.e. ME!) is going to do the plugging, I'd probably use EDAC but that's largely force of habit. Two other connectors to consider which are probably a bit tougher for touring are Harting and Litton Veam.

I'll be doing the plugging till the youngster minding the desk learns the meaning of the word "gentle". And yeah - we're still paying the PA rig, lights and van off so cheap is definitely a part of it. All the EDAC bits and bobs are going to come to about £100 from Canford (just 10 minutes up the road) which is about all we can afford at the minute. And I need some panel mount XLRs for the monitor rack, too. Got plenty of multicore'd cable lying round, too.

We'll be careful, I promise.

Thanks,

Adam

If you're using 'male' EDACs (ie exposed pins) on the end of a snake then it's worth buying a spare female chassis body without pins and using it to protect the male end in transit.

Will do!

My FOH, Monitor, and Rack multi's are all done with EDAC's, and after blood sweat and tears, they work really well. Shame the multi itself wasn't up to the job - 4 cores down and counting! For returns I use 7way multi's with round connectors with the screw in rings. all permanently wired in the racks, so getting desks set up doesn't need too many connections :rolleyes:

I'll be doing the plugging till the youngster minding the desk learns the meaning of the word "gentle". And yeah - we're still paying the PA rig, lights and van off so cheap is definitely a part of it. All the EDAC bits and bobs are going to come to about £100 from Canford (just 10 minutes up the road) which is about all we can afford at the minute. And I need some panel mount XLRs for the monitor rack, too. Got plenty of multicore'd cable lying round, too.

Even if you don't live just up the road, Canford are very convenient...but almost never the cheapest. It might be worth checking some other suppliers (CPC for one) to see if you can save a bit of cash.

Bob

Even if you don't live just up the road, Canford are very convenient...but almost never the cheapest. It might be worth checking some other suppliers (CPC for one) to see if you can save a bit of cash.

Bob

Just priced the bits I need properly:

Canford: £80.32 - CPC: £111.96

Just recieved my soldering station from CPC this morning.

Ordered Saturday afternoon. Top delivery!

Adam

Archived