Sennheiser ew100 advice

melvenia

Hello, I'm new here so please be gentle!!

I am a solo singer working with backing tracks and have just started using a Sennheiser ew100 with the standard receiver.

The problem I have is every now and again when there's nothing happening i.e. the music is off and the mic put to one side it will suddenly give off a really loud noise just like feedback/howlround and the only way to stop it is to turn the amp output right down.

At first I thought it was feedback but I can put the mic close up to a speaker and it tends not to feed back unless I adjust the sensitivity too high. I tend to run it on the standard default settings and only adjust the input level into the mixer amp on it's own channel.

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation

Mel

I have repaired a lot of Sennheiser Evolution Radio Mics usually 5 or 6 during the course of the summer and most problems tend to be with the small switches on the bottom of the mic . I'm wondering if your problem is the mic switching itself on again . I have one on my bench at the moment that randomly switches itself into standby mode . Being placed on a flat surface could actually increase the likely hood of feedback . How many times have you seen somebody putting their hand over the end of a microphone causing the feedback to get worse ?

Inside the Sennheiser are 3 circuit boards one of which is a logic board that controls such functions as tuning , muting etc. I suspect the problem may be there .

every now and again when there's nothing happening i.e. the music is off and the mic put to one side it will suddenly give off a really loud noise just like feedback/howlround and the only way to stop it is to turn the amp output right down.

Perhaps an obvious suggestion, but why not mute it at the desk when it's put down?

It's sounds a bit like the receiver is picking up a spurious transmission from elsewhere; I guess if you're gigging around London this is more likely than most other places. What frequency are you using?

If this is the case, the squelch control is your friend. Adjusting that up (think that's the right way :( - check the manual) will make the receiver less susceptible to such things.

Shez

Agree with the last comment. Probably someone is near you on the frequency. Do you know how to change the frequency on the kit? Probably worth checking it is actually set on a "proper" frequency, rather than one slightly off. The latter will be closer to the next one that another user might be using.

ps this is a problem I had when one, od six units was too close to another, so there was sporadic break through. Not of the vocal but just a blat!

I have repaired a lot of Sennheiser Evolution Radio Mics usually 5 or 6 during the course of the summer and most problems tend to be with the small switches on the bottom of the mic . I'm wondering if your problem is the mic switching itself on again . I have one on my bench at the moment that randomly switches itself into standby mode . Being placed on a flat surface could actually increase the likely hood of feedback . How many times have you seen somebody putting their hand over the end of a microphone causing the feedback to get worse ?

Inside the Sennheiser are 3 circuit boards one of which is a logic board that controls such functions as tuning , muting etc. I suspect the problem may be there .

I don't think the switch is a problem. I'll try muting it when I put it down to see if it does it then, I'll try to avoid lying it on a flat surface and see if that cures it.

Agree with the last comment. Probably someone is near you on the frequency. Do you know how to change the frequency on the kit? Probably worth checking it is actually set on a "proper" frequency, rather than one slightly off. The latter will be closer to the next one that another user might be using.
It's on 840.000mhz and the receiver is set the same. I've checked the channel and tuning and they are correct. The sensitivity on the mic is set at -30db, the af out on the receiver is set at 0.0 and the squelch is on mid. The pilot is on at both ends.

When you say "Proper" frequency what do you mean? I can go from 830.000mhz to 860.000mhz

Thanks

Mel

It's on 840.000mhz and the receiver is set the same. I've checked the channel and tuning and they are correct. The sensitivity on the mic is set at -30db, the af out on the receiver is set at 0.0 and the squelch is on mid. The pilot is on at both ends.

When you say "Proper" frequency what do you mean? I can go from 830.000mhz to 860.000mhz

Sounds like you are on an frequency requiring a uk licence. If your system only tunes from 830-860mHz sounds like a foreign configured system. Uk standard non licence freq. are on the useful sound links here. All my sennys when you select channel 1, 2 , 3... etc on receiver it uses the free non licence freq 1st. You may need to reconfigure the system freq. which some else may know how to do. Sounds like interference to me due to the freq you are using.

Hope this helps

Andi

840MHz is in channel 67, and you do need a licence for it. It's possible that not only are you suffering interference, but a legitimate (paying) user is also suffering because of you.

You'll have to either look at getting licenced or move to 863.1 - 864.9MHz which is licence exempt. Bank 8, channels 1 - 4 on the Sennys are licence exempt tunings.

840MHz is in channel 67, and you do need a licence for it. It's possible that not only are you suffering interference, but a legitimate (paying) user is also suffering because of you.

You'll have to either look at getting licenced or move to 863.1 - 864.9MHz which is licence exempt. Bank 8, channels 1 - 4 on the Sennys are licence exempt tunings.

I've been a bit confused about what the bank and the channels are becuase they just seem like another set of the same frequencies. I have got it to scan once and it told me channel 3 was free.

I've had a good read of the manual "If all else fails read the instructions!!!" and found that Shez^^ is spot on, bank 8 channels 1to4 are preset and licence free so I'll see how that works tonight and scan the bank of channels to get a free one in the locality.

Fingers crossed!!

Mel

As Shez says, you should be using Bank 8, and one of channels 1 through 4. These are the ONLY frequencies that the EVO can tune you're allowed to use without a licence.

As was said, you're presently using a frequency on TV channel 67, so, depending on where you are, it's entirely possible there a megawatt of TV transmitter nearby!

For more info on frequencies you can use or ones you can licence, visit www.jfmg.co.uk .

Bob

As Shez says, you should be using Bank 8, and one of channels 1 through 4. These are the ONLY frequencies that the EVO can tune you're allowed to use without a licence.

As was said, you're presently using a frequency on TV channel 67, so, depending on where you are, it's entirely possible there a megawatt of TV transmitter nearby!

For more info on frequencies you can use or ones you can licence, visit www.jfmg.co.uk .

Bob

Only a megawatt!! I'll take 'em on!! Fancy a fight!! :P

OK Perhaps not!

I'll try the free cnahhels as Shez mentioned above and see how it goes.

Mel

Bob

Only a megawatt!! I'll take 'em on!! Fancy a fight!! :rolleyes:

OK Perhaps not!

I'll try the free cnahhels as Shez mentioned above and see how it goes.

Mel

I tried the licence free channels and no more feedback so thank you all for that.

The only thing it's doing now is getting loud on it's own and when I pull the mic away from my mouth it goes quiet again. There must be an easy explanation.

Inverse square law is something you probably know anyway from experience but don't realise. It just means that for every doubling of distance between your mouth & the mic, the sound level is quartered. What you said about pulling the mic away from mouth making it go quieter tallies with this. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the symptoms you describe...

When you're working really close to the mic, even tiny changes in distance can produce a huge change in volume.

If you're working with your own PA, I don't think there'll be a compressor in there; through someone else's, they could be tweaking your levels though.

Archived