Interview hints

Sarah Q

I have a job interview next week, for a Production LX job. I know my CV is good, as I always get interviews, but never get the job. I do a lot of research about the theatre/company in question to show an interest in their work, go smartly dressed, try and appear friendly and approachable, and don't get too nervous.

I'm aiming for a slight career jump with this job, and although I have a lot of lx experience, it might need someone to have a little faith in my ability.

Can any employers out there give me some guidance about the types of answer they might be looking for to the usual questions "Why do you want this job?" etc. etc. for someone to stand out? I seem to give the same answers every time (ignoring the obvious one - I need the money!). The toughest one I've heard is "What do you class as your weaknesses?" as it's hard to know what to say without putting the potential employer off, but obviously not seeming big headed enough to say you haven't got any!!

I'm obviously doing something wrong with my answers, as they can see my work experience from my CV, and surely wouldn't interview someone they didn't think had enough experience to do the job?

Any ideas would be gratefully received - I would really like this job....

Well, every employer is different, so I can only speak personally.

The "Why do you want this job?" is ofte a cue for you to show that you actually know something about the company you're applying to in general and the job you're looking for specifically. The sort of thing that might work might be: "I want to advance my career by working on larger, more elaborate shows. I've see your productions of "Les Mis" and "Superstar" and was very impressed by the way they were handled, and would like to be part of the team doing that sort of work. I know you have some exciting projects coming up over the next year and I'd very much like to work with you on them".

Obviously you have to adjust the response based on the company...but the main thing is to show you've researched what the company does...and to say some nice things about it!

As for the one about your failings, there are things you can say that can make a positive out of a negative. An example might me "I can be a bit of a perfectionist at times. It can be hard for me to accept doing less than my best even though I've been in the industry long enough to know that a professional has to take account of budget and time constraints".

Again, you have to adapt it for yourself...but as I say, the trick is to find a negative that makes you sound good!

Hope this helps,

Bob

"I can be a bit of a perfectionist at times. It can be hard for me to accept doing less than my best even though I've been in the industry long enough to know that a professional has to take account of budget and time constraints".

I've said before "I'm aware every one says you should say your a perfectionist, but lets be honest thats nonsense and you know it". I then admitted to a minor failing, IIRC, "getting annoyed when stuff doesn't work", which in the tech industry would be much more of a problem than it was for the summer placement designing access databases whilst at university, being as you'd be annoyed a lot more!

I once had an interview with an employer for whom I'd managed to make a pigs ear of a temp job the year before (on reflection, I was lucky to get an interview). Most of the interview consisted of me going blow by blow through what I thought I'd done wrong, what I'd learnt, and how I'd adapted and changed my working methods. I ended up getting the job, and getting a promotion the following year - but I obviously wouldn't recommend doing an entire interview of negativity!

It's more just an example that you might choose to answer the question "what would you class your weaknesses as" using a practical example of where you screwed something up in the past and (most importantly) what you learnt - rather than using the (IMO) slightly cliched "I'm a bit of a perfectionist).

Obviously it also pays to research the company you're going in for - you should be able to tailor the "Why do you want this job" question for each employer you interview with.

For "why do you want this job" how about making the point that it is the perfect "next step" for you because you've done a lot of A, B and C and would love the opportunity to do more of D and E which this job would provide. You, obviously, will also feel that you are the perfect person for them because what they need now is someone with lots of experience in F and G, which you also have.

For "what are your weaknesses", you could make it look like you're giving it plenty of thought and then admit that the one thing you've felt recently needs some extra input is H and you've been looking for some suitable training in this. If you or your line manager could find an appropriate course you'd love to go on it as you're always interested in learning new things.

BTW, if you can bear to share your usual answers with us we could let you know if/where you're going wrong. Worst answer I ever had for "why did you apply for this job" was "the Job Centre insist I go for at least 2 jobs a week". I hope that's not your standard answer? :P

Many thanks for the replies so far.

My usual response to "why do you want this job?" would be something along the lines of ""I see this job as an opportunity to extend my experience in theatre electrics, and also to work in an exciting, dynamic theatre company. I have always planned to join a touring theatre company." - or similar

My weakness would be that I am not always assertive enough in certain situations - loosely translated as I sometimes let myself get walked all over and end up with the nasty tasks no one else wants to do. In my previous job, I was often told I needed to go to the "thick skin doctor" - something I have improved greatly on in recent years. Not sure how to put a positive spin on the assertiveness thing.

I always mention that I am happy to undergo any training necessary (if they ask), but try not to dwell on my technical weaknesses (such as harness work).

I've got until 10am Tuesday morning to work this out, so the more help the better!!

Cheers,

Sarah

You're well on the right track.

On the "Why do you want this job? question, I'd try to work in a company-specific reason WHY the job will "extend your experience in theatre electrics" just to show you've actually researched the job and thought about things. This could be mention of some shows they've done that you've liked and can discuss, a regular designer whose work you respect or even just that you "know they have a Whole Fat Frog Hog Grandma Congo 2000 which is a board you like a lot". The key (as I see it, and I've interviewed more people than I've had hot dinners) is to show you care enough about the job and company to have done your homework.

As for the "weakness" question, you're part way there already. Although a lack of assertiveness IS a fault, adding that this means you sometimes end up picking up the tasks others don't do can actually be seen by an employer as a good thing. Adding that, as you gain experience you are becoming more sure of yourself and the experience you hope to gain with the new company can only help is a good thing to say as well.

Good luck...you should do fine!

Bob

When I'm interviewing (and this is in a completely different industry), I'm looking for lots of things, including:

• technical ability and/or potential
  • enthusiasm
  • honesty
  • the ability to "fit in" with the existing team - to be able to work with them, without confrontation, with a complementary skillset - being able to fill any existing gaps.

The "potential" bit is important - the employer is wanting to not only fill a specific vacancy today, but often to see how that person will "grow the job".

Honesty. Please don't lie or bullsh!t. If you're found out during the interview, you've wasted everyone's time. If you're found out afterwards, then you've still wasted everyones time - it's just a bit more time consuming to get rid of you...

"Fitting in" is important. It's not just about technical ability - an employer will look at their whole team, and see whether that person is likely to be able to work well with the existing team. I was on a training course recently, about "being on an interview panel", and one of the scenarios presented was where they found, on paper, the "ideal candidate" for a team leader. However, during the interview it became apparent that the candidate was "master of the local hunt". The team who he would have been managing were all lentil-munching hunt saboteurs. It just wouldn't have worked.

And finally, first impressions matter. When you go into the room, the first few seconds will shape the interviewer's perception of you. If you make a bad impression, it's very difficult to change. So think about the way you dress. Being radical in any way is very risky. Some interviewers have a thing about tattoos - if you have any, keep them covered.

I still have very clear memories of one particular candidate. CV was good - very good. He'd obviously got hold of the job spec and tailored the CV, so that it "pushed all the right buttons". Arrived on time. Dressed smartly. He came into the interview room, sat down, said "hello", stood up again and reached over the table to shake hands with each of the panel members. He went to sit down again, missed the chair, and ended up on his back on the floor. I suspect that even if he had had a perfect interview after that (he didn't - the CV was largely fictional) there was no way that he would have been successful - first impressions are deep.

Bruce.

Bruce makes some excellent points...though I might have been more forgiving than him. If the candidate who missed the chair had been able to make a decent joke of the tumble and recover to do a good interview, I think that might have actually given some "fitting in" points. (I'm ignoring the made-up CV part of course...that would eliminate anybody!)

The points about being honest are very well made though. I'd have a far greater respect for somebody who would answer "sorry, I don't know about that" to a tricky technical question rather than try to fake it. I'd rather not have somebody with a "fake it" attitude up on top of a scaff tower rigging heavy stuff!

The "fitting in" is also very true but practically impossible to prepare for. The best advice I can offer is to try and pick up your cues from the people doing the interviewing. If they're casual and chatty, respond...to some extent...the same way. However, if they're firing formal questions at you, keep your replies more formal too.

Finally, the advice on dress, tattoos, etc. is all good.

Bob

.. the candidate who missed the chair had been able to make a decent joke of the tumble and recover to do a good interview, I think that might have actually given some "fitting in" points.

Nah, he was a blethering idiot... the rest of the interview was quite bizarre. A few minutes afterwards, we had a break for coffee, and the security guard and person from Catering said "whatever you do, don't employ that idiot..." - so I don't know what he got up to when waiting to come into the interview. Although I believe he wandered around a bit, and when security challenged him, he said "I'm just checking the fire exits..."... The person from Personnel, who sits on interview panels virtually every day, says it was the most bizarre interview she had ever attended.

The points about being honest are very well made though. I'd have a far greater respect for somebody who would answer "sorry, I don't know about that" to a tricky technical question rather than try to fake it. I'd rather not have somebody with a "fake it" attitude up on top of a scaff tower rigging heavy stuff!

"Sorry, I've not had to do that before. But here's how I'd go about finding out about it..." is a good response when asked this sort of thing. A good interviewer will ask open questions, which will give you an opportunity to explain things, rather than just offer a "yes/no" answer. Take advantage of that. If you can turn the interview into a dialogue, you've won the battle.

You also will probably be asked, towards the end of the interview, "Is there anything you'd like to ask us?". Of course there is. You're trying to sell yourself to the employer, but the employer also needs to sell themselves to you. So ask something relevant - even if you know the answer - but make sure it's not something obvious, which you should have known based on (eg) the information pack. The employer is looking for you to ask relevant questions here. I have interviewed a number of candidates who when asked "Is there anything you'd like to ask us?" have answered "ummm- not really...". It doesn't exactly end the interview on a positive note.

You're getting some great advice here, Sarah, and I'd agree with all of the above.

I would, however, say you're giving the wrong answer for your weaknesses. If you told me you needed to be more assertive, I'd be very worried about you being walked all over by a venue you're visiting. For instance, you may need to fly a backdrop but go to a venue with no flying. If they were to say "you can't fly your backdrop here", the answer would not be "OK, we'll have to do without but it's a shame the show won't look as good", it would be "this show really needs the cloth hanging somehow. What can be done and how do other companies manage?" and to keep plugging away until they suggest something you can both live with. Someone who didn't do that might put up a show that wasn't up to standard. As an interviewer that wold stop me giving you the job, because no matter how hard you try to be more assertive, you've told me that your natural state is to be "walked over", to use your phrase.

However, if you were to admit to your lack of training in harness use, that is easily fixed. We send you on a course, after which you know how to use a harness. End of weakness.

Another useful hint is that, if you are shown round by someone before the interview, ask lots of questions as you go around and remember the interesting answer which makes the venue sound especially good. Then when you are asked, in the interview, if there is anything you'd like to ask them, you can bring up the previous disucssion: "I was going to ask about whether you use any special dance floor, but when I was talking to Jane Doe earlier, as she showed me round, she mentioned you have this wonderful stuff flown in from Afghansitan which can withstand a nuclear attack and is still 3 times springier than Harlequin - that's wonderful, how did you come across that?". A little flattery goes a long way!

Maybe re-cast the assertiveness thing as "I try too hard to please everyone.."?

Also, remember that there are assertiveness courses that you can take. Some are very good. However, others are rubbish, and tend to produce people who don't appreciate the difference between "assertive" and "aggressive"...

JSB also makes a good point about the people that have shown you round the place. Comment on what you saw. And don't forget that your "guide" may have some input into the selction process - even indirectly - the interviewer will probably have a quick chat with them at some point - even something like "the woman with the red hair seemed keen, the 2 young blokes didn't say much, and the guy with the beard was a bit of a know-all" can make a big difference.

This is really great, thanks - it's been invaluable to hear it from another perspective. I had never thought about the assertiveness thing that way before, but what has been said makes sense.

I think I'm nearly ready for tomorrow - have done research and printed it out to re-read on train there, even found a bit of kit on the internet that was invented by the guy who is interviewing me, got my multimap directions, bought a new outfit and had my hair cut....

Just need to work on the questions to ask at the end of the interview now. I have a few contractual ones (as it doesn't mention in the job description whether the job is permanent or just for the season, things like that!) - I'm sure they will come to me on the early train tomorrow morning... but any ideas for general questions or any other ideas are more than welcome. Definitely going to ask questions as I go round on the tour....

Will let you know how it goes

Thanks again to everyone that has posted

Sarah

Just need to work on the questions to ask at the end of the interview now. I have a few contractual ones (as it doesn't mention in the job description whether the job is permanent or just for the season, things like that!) - I'm sure they will come to me on the early train tomorrow morning... but any ideas for general questions or any other ideas are more than welcome. Definitely going to ask questions as I go round on the tour....

Well, to some extent you have to judge what to ask from things that have been said at the interview. It wouldn't surprise me if the contractual stuff was answered in the course of the main discussion but, if not, by all means ask.

Some other areas which tend to be useful and safe are things like:

-future plans/expansion plans the company may have

-what advancement possibilities there are if you get the job and it goes well

-company policy on training courses

Hope this helps.

Bob

Archived