Hk Deacon or Nexo PS15/Ls1200?

cabaretho

Hello there, im after peoples experiences and opinions of Hk Deacon and Nexo PS15/LS1200. What you think I should go for and maybe similar PA suggestions. thanks ;)

Hey there, Cabaretho, could you give a bit of info as to what you are doing and capacities that you play to. It would be useful is giving an opinion..

However, I need to look because I don't think the DEACON is in the same field as the PS15 and LS1200.

Hey there, at the mo I'm using 4xps10 2xls500 had it just over six months and its not giving me enough. There is never any head room and the bottom end wimps out when I start to push it. We are a duo who do quite punchy/modern music to about maximum 400 peeps.

Hey, Liam. And welcome to the Blue Room...

Not a huge fan of the HK range. I've listened to most of their range (when the rep was trying to flog them to us) but have concerns over their build quality and consistency in their manufacture.

Nexo produce some good stuff but it is a lot more expensive and I think you would have to be looking at PS15's to get the sound you are looking for in addition to a pile of subs.

My two-pence-worth would be to take a look at the Fohhn Xperience systems that we use. You could probably just get away with the Xperience III High-Power system with the 15" subs that keep things easily transportable. If you have a van though, I would go with an Xperience IV Power system with the 18" subs and XT-4 tops as this really delivers crisp, powerful sound for up to 500 people and the bottom-end from the subs has plenty of punch yet is very articulate. Might be just what you are looking for...

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Had a few bad experiences with the Nexo gear thats why I am looking for other alternatives, really like the Nexo sound and can get it for a decent price, just kind of like the idea of plug and play! What do you think of using digi amps to run the ps15/ls1200? I have heard for some reason they are not good enough! I am going to listen to both PA on Friday just wanted some advice beforehand, as I want to have the very best sound possible. Thanks.

What do you think of using digi amps to run the ps15/ls1200? I have heard for some reason they are not good enough! I am going to listen to both PA on Friday just wanted some advice beforehand, as I want to have the very best sound possible. Thanks.
The reason you can't use digital amps with the Nexos isn't that they aren't good enough, it is the latency introduced by any digital processing. The Nexo controller uses the amplifier output, and with latency it throws off the controller. There are plenty of excellent amplifiers that work fine with Nexo.

Mac

I think we need to be careful when using the term 'Digital Amp'. This is often misinterpreted.

Digital amps can be known as class-D amps. Not really digital but an amp design that is incredibly efficient. Some amps also include some digital processing (DSP) which can earn them the name 'Digital'. Then there are the ranges of amp that use switched-mode PSUs to reduce the weight but this doesn't make them 'Digital'.

As I understand things, the Camco Amps are not class-D but do use a switched mode PSU to keep weight down and a digital input stage for remote control of the things.

Liam, what is on your 'wish list' of features for your system - size, low weight, ease of setup, etc?

Steve

The reason you can't use digital amps with the Nexos isn't that they aren't good enough, it is the latency introduced by any digital processing.
Just to point something simple. It is not that they can't have a digital amp. If you use their UTD ( the one of the PS 15 series ) controller the conversion time between digital an analog would be a problem but if you use their digital controller ( a lot more expensive of course ) then you can use a digital amp too.

I hope it adds something.

First and foremost I really need more volume, but quality volume! Really need more bottom end, that is what I am missing at the moment. Size and wieght are not an issue. Thanks

Seriously then, don't make any decisions until you've demo-ed one of the Xperience systems. Honest, you'll love it...

Steve

Just to point something simple. It is not that they can't have a digital amp. If you use their UTD ( the one of the PS 15 series ) controller the conversion time between digital an analog would be a problem but if you use their digital controller ( a lot more expensive of course ) then you can use a digital amp too.

I hope it adds something.

Errr, The only controllers available for the PS15 series are the PS15 TDs (3 versions I believe, perhaps only 2), and the Nx241/2 controllers. Both would require you to have an amplifier with no latency between input and output, seems to make sense in my mind to go analogue from the controller to the amplifier. I dont think you can easily get digital out from the controllers, without spending money on ethersound, which itself adds latency. As for Nexo systems not being plug and play, I've found that once the amp racks are built, they are exactly that.

Jeremy

Archived