How much power consumption on lamp strike?

marsonpee

Hello

I am currently investigating the aquisition of a griven sky rose copy (showtec). What I am unsure of, is how much power it would draw upon lamp strike up, this is an area I have no idea in. Also what size/type of connection should it have? I have had a quick search in the forums but couldnt find precise figures. Sorry if this is repeated.

Cheers Andy

This manual for the Griven Sky Rose GR 0028 HMI 1200W and GR 0029 HMI 2500W models http://www.premier-solutions.biz/User%20Gu...ven/SkyRose.pdf says on page 5

projector 1200 = nominal current (in) 20A - value of switching

projector 2500 = nominal current (in) 25A - value of switching

on page 2 Nominal current 14A (1200) - 17A (2500)

hope that helps

• 2 years later...
This manual for the Griven Sky Rose GR 0028 HMI 1200W and GR 0029 HMI 2500W models http://www.premier-solutions.biz/User%20Gu...ven/SkyRose.pdf says on page 5

projector 1200 = nominal current (in) 20A - value of switching

projector 2500 = nominal current (in) 25A - value of switching

on page 2 Nominal current 14A (1200) - 17A (2500)

hope that helps

another question....

I assume the HMI2500 comes on a 32a ceeform connector - As the current during lamp strike will be high initially, will there be anyway to connect this to a 16a supply? Nominal should be fine being only 2500w and I'm hoping the MCB feeding a 16a socket on my distro wouldn't trip during lamp strike. What do you think? (my issue is that the particular distro for a supply I want to use doen't have a 32a outlet!!!)

ta

d

The manual appears to have lost something in translation, but it would appear that the running current of the 2,500 watt version is 17 amps.

the "value of switching" appears to relate not to the running current but to the recomended rating of an RCBO supplying the unit.

I think that they mean use an RCBO with a rated current of 25 amps, and an earth leakage trip of 0.03 amp (30 ma, a common rating)

Therefore if the manufactures instructions are to be strictly followed it would appear that the unit cant be plugged into a 16 amp socket, since the running current is 17 amps, and a 25 amp circuit breaker is recomended.

Neither can it be plugged into a standard 32 amp socket since such are normally protected by a 32 amp MCB. It would appear that a 32 amp socket protected by a 25 amp MCB and a 30ma RCD is required.

In practice it should be fine on a 32 amp circuit, with a 30ma RCD, but this would be contary to the manufacturers instructions.

Sounds rather a poor design to me, if it really does require non-standard overcurrent protection at 25 amps, then IMHO this should be built in to the unit, rather than requiring a non standard distro etc.

The manual appears to have lost something in translation, but it would appear that the running current of the 2,500 watt version is 17 amps.

the "value of switching" appears to relate not to the running current but to the recomended rating of an RCBO supplying the unit.

I think that they mean use an RCBO with a rated current of 25 amps, and an earth leakage trip of 0.03 amp (30 ma, a common rating)

Therefore if the manufactures instructions are to be strictly followed it would appear that the unit cant be plugged into a 16 amp socket, since the running current is 17 amps, and a 25 amp circuit breaker is recomended.

Neither can it be plugged into a standard 32 amp socket since such are normally protected by a 32 amp MCB. It would appear that a 32 amp socket protected by a 25 amp MCB and a 30ma RCD is required.

In practice it should be fine on a 32 amp circuit, with a 30ma RCD, but this would be contary to the manufacturers instructions.

Sounds rather a poor design to me, if it really does require non-standard overcurrent protection at 25 amps, then IMHO this should be built in to the unit, rather than requiring a non standard distro etc.

cheers adam, that helps. It does seem rather odd from the spec and I couldn't quite get my head around it from the manuals but I'll go from a 32a circuit with rcd. I'll just have to give up on the idea of taking it off a 16 which is a shame as I know the studio due version can run off a 13a socket!

d

I'd read that as a minimum, rather than the required value.

Basically saying that if your upstream MCB is smaller than 25A you'll see nuisance tripping on strike.

Hello

I am currently investigating the aquisition of a griven sky rose copy (showtec). What I am unsure of, is how much power it would draw upon lamp strike up, this is an area I have no idea in. Also what size/type of connection should it have? I have had a quick search in the forums but couldnt find precise figures. Sorry if this is repeated.

Cheers Andy

Discharge lamps will pull close to twice there normal running current, only for a brief period, during start up, and its starting time depends on the age and condition of the lamp, because it normally only brief , it is not normally a problem, but if you are worried about nuisance tripping, a good value would be a circuit that can safely supply twice the lamps normal running current.

• 5 years later...

I realise that this is an old thread - was there really a year as far back as 2006?!

I have just "inherited" a couple of unbranded HMI2500 Sky Roses. On a 16amp MCB, they strike OK and run for around 15 minutes quite happily but then trip the breaker. I put a meter on them and they are both running at about 22amps - even after striking.

Is this usual, (or, at least, usual for a cheap Chinese import)?

Thanks for your input, Jon.

I have no understanding of this type of circuit with ballasts etc. There is, what looks like, a massive capacitor inside the unit with a current rating of 28amps. Might this be how much the luminaire draws, or the maximum current that that particular component can handle?

Is there away to apply power factor correction retrospectively, or I am stuck with running them at 22amps?

Thanks for your input, Jon.

I have no understanding of this type of circuit with ballasts etc. There is, what looks like, a massive capacitor inside the unit with a current rating of 28amps. Might this be how much the luminaire draws, or the maximum current that that particular component can handle?

Is there away to apply power factor correction retrospectively, or I am stuck with running them at 22amps?

I very much doubt that the equipment contains a capacitor rated at 28 amps. Capacitors are normally rated by capacitance measured in microfarads, by working voltage in volts, and perhaps also by ambient temperature in degrees Celsius.

It may be possible to add power factor correction, but this is a bit involved and cant be recommended for the novice, dangerous voltage are involved and mistakes can kill. Electricly it is fairly simple, just select a suitable capacitor and connect this across the incoming mains into the equipment. The required value can be calculated, or determined by experiment.

Suitable capacitors are sold by many suppliers. Potential problems include finding space to fit the capacitor(s) as you may need several. make certain that they wont be overheated, and wont obstruct cooling air to other components, and are securely fixed. Usual caveats about mains voltages, and remember that a pedant could argue that by modifying the equipment that you have voided any CE marking. Cant recommend such work for the novice.

Thanks Adam

As there is no obvious CE marking, the pedant would find it difficult to construct an argument!http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif (I will, of course, be conducting a PAT on them before they are released into the wild)

I have a pet electronics engineer in the wings, so I will pass the issue on to him and see what he thinks. In the meantime, if anyone has come across this issue, feel free to put in your four pen'th.

Archived