Gobo Storage

Sarah

I've always sorted mine by type, and then by size. These then get put in heavy C5 size envelopes (ie big enough to take an A4 sheet folded in two), labelled with Name (eg Cloud 10), Suppliers Reference (eg DHA 169), Size (eg A-size) and Quantity (eg Some). If possible I also stick a picture of it to the front.

The only problem I then have is where to store all the envelopes. At present I'm using a set of drawers. Each drawer is approx 150mm wide by 250mm long. They are about 30mm deep. Each drawer is then labelled with its contents, ie DHA001 to DHA050, DHA052 to DHA100 etc.

Custom designs and those from miscalanious suppliers are filled in the bottom drawer.

Thats the way I do it. Anyone else?

Glyn

I use a photo album so you can see the gobo as you flick through and I have the name number etc wrote on.

I used to keep them in there little bags by putting all of one type in one bag and labelling the top then storing them in a nice draw!

I always save the plastic it comes in, and then file it back individually. As for storage, I use a box like you would keep recipies in, separated with 3x5 notecards with labels (storing them perpendicular to the hinge of the box so more fit).

Hope that makes sense :(

-w

We have a few hundred hire gobos in stock. I "tend" to try and keep them in the original packet they come supplied in and they are then stored (this may make me out to be old fashioned!!!) in a 5.5" disk drive stoarge box!! In DHA number order.

Saying that, until recent innovations with cool beam lanterns ie Pacific, I have tended to try and sell customers gobos, as they are going to be more looked after by the end user.

As a point, at the risk of going off topic (mods please penalise me or start a new topic) are metal gobos going to become rarer?

I bought a nice cheap photo album (pretty picture of flowers or some such on the cover) and use that. Basically it's got plastic sleeves for 3"x5" photos, two per page. The gobos are arranged in sections for each size and within size they are sorted numerically by the DHA reference. All the copies of a single pattern goes in the same slot.

Of course many gobos don't find their way back from the gobo holders into the file before they get used again :D

A4 ringbinder with top-loading (avoids gobos falling out when you pick the binder up by its spine) clear filing pages, in various sizes according to gobo size:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_in...roducts_id=7790

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=900

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_in...roducts_id=7912

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_in...roducts_id=8301

Filed in numeric order and sharpie each space with the gobo number.

For mine, I have a minidisc storage wallet, which has a piece of paper in each sleeve. This paper has a photocopy of the gobo on it, so I know if any are missing, or in use before ranting off at someone!. seems to work quite well, and haven't lost one yet. :D

I always save the plastic it comes in, and then file it back individually. As for storage, I use a box like you would keep recipies in, separated with 3x5 notecards with labels (storing them perpendicular to the hinge of the box so more fit).

Update! I scrapped that idea after looking at photo albums, and now I am in love! Bought a small book that holds 100 single photos, and will be re-organizing my entire gobo catalog tomorrow. Adding category tabs to it for ease of search.

Or, so I don't stand out as much around here: re-organising my catalogue.

I must say, American english is ugly looking sometimes...

-w

• 3 months later...

Just wondering how everyone stores their gobos. For awhile I had under 60 so I kept them in little envelopes and labled them. On Ebay I bought and of a lot of 400 gobos and was wondering the best way to store and classify them. They are all sitting in a box weighing about 12lbs and I figure this is not a very time efficient way of storing them if I need to access them in a hurry. Thanks for your input. Any pictures and descriptions would help!!

Moderation: Merged with previous identical thread

Archived