Charity Concert Lighting

Beacon

Hi, in the last week of school every year my school holds a charity week. The main events of this week are Battle of the Bands and Pop Idol to be performed on our stage. We have a basic rig, full of fixed lamps. I was wondering if there was any kind soul on the boards who wouldn’t mind lending us Moving lights, e.g. Macs etc for next week( if not the whole week just wednesday till friday). We are trying to go big with the shows to make as much money for charity. Understandably you may wish to lend us them for free, but a cheap price would be great. Thanks in advance for any help, for more details of Venue etc. PM me.

J

p.s the shows are happening in Northampton.

Try ringing up a local hire company and asking if you can give them some dosh to come up the day before and take whatever is left on their shelves - that way they get some cash, look good in the eyes of the locals, and you get the kit you need on the cheap.

Stu

• 1 year later...

sorry to bring up an old thread - don't know what's going to get me flamed more :)

local group of teenagers have decided to run a charity concert to raise money for a cancer thing. I'm helping out as I know them and stuff. anyway, we don't have too much money to spend so if anyone knows where I can get local (aldershot, surrey) stuff from companies I could phone up or other ideas that'd be great. It's around the 19th March.

computer

I Hope you get the kit you want.

I make a fair proportion of my income working for people raising money for charity, and get pretty fed up with people saying "how much?, this is for charity, you know".

I just can't afford to do some of them, so don't - but God, do they try and make you feel guilty!

sorry to dampen things, but remember its you thats doing the charity gig, not the the guy hiring you the fixtures.

Sometimes we cant afford to do charitys.

I do at least one big charity event a year, where I supply everything, even down to the venue, and its costs me a heavy wack.

vince

(sorry if that came over as a bit ill spirited)

Vinny has said what we end up saying to a lot of people. We will supply one charity with equipment and one produced charity function a year. I say that, but this is more policy, as we have not yet been going a year.

You need to work out if this gig will in any way pay back for hire stuff. I know the money should go to charity, but if you give a little bit the the hire business, rather than nothing, they are more likely to give you heavily discounted things more often.

If you just ask for freebies all the time, the lx comps/business will just get annoyed in the end and say no in the end.

sorry to dampen things, but remember its you thats doing the charity gig, not the the guy hiring you the fixtures.

Sometimes we cant afford to do charitys.

(sorry if that came over as a bit ill spirited)

Sorry if it sounds a bit of a cliché but... 'No-one (very few people) are in this game for the money'. Yes, charity work is good, everyone gets that nice feeling because you know you've done something to help someone else less fortunate, but one of the fast routes to putting yourself out of business... :)

This may sound a bit harsh, or mean, or cruel, but....

I play in a band. We occasionally get asked to play at "charity functions". And we get asked to drop our prices (to next to nothing!) because "It's for charity".

We have done this in the past, and discovered that, although WE had dropped our price, the venue hadn't. The caterers hadn't. The bar hadn't. In fact, the only people who had been daft enough to do so were us....

So my position now is that if I am asked to play at a charity gig, I'm happy to do so. And I'm happy to cut, or even waive, the fee. But only if it's a charity in which I, or one of the other band members, or one of my family, have a personal interest or involvement.

You've got to draw the line somewhere.

Bruce.

yeah thats what I think the problem will be. I know I'm the one that is relying on the others :) But, what can I do? Might as well try. We're looking to raise quite a bit, and we really want to do 2 nights but probably only be able to do 1 due to time constraints, so we probably raise close to £1k. We've got the local press involved as well, so all of thats going well. They've borrowed equipment for sound and A/V already, just lighting left and they've asked me, just I don't really have much I own personally.

Still, it's worth a shot.

I agree with Bruce. I had to turn down a booking last week for my band that was for 'charity'. I didnt know which charity or anything, and they expected dus to do it for free. Considering how much work and expense that is for someone I don't even know, I didnt really have much choice.

Having said that we're now playing a tsunami relief concert for someone I DO know so thats put my mind at rest a bit.

People who do things for charity do it for one (or both ) of two reasons, 1/ it makes them feel good,ite a charity which they support anyway, or 2/ Doing the job gets them, their business lots of creep points- free advertising of a valued sort.

If a charity with reg number asks me, I quote list price, If I personally support that fund anyway then I will donate my total fee, on the night.

There was a thread in another place probably humorously intended, about Darks the opposite of lights, Actually you can make the best of a limited luminaire stock by getting the light where it's wanted and keeping it OFF where it isn't wanted then the contrast goes up and attention is focussed on the action.

For Charity to work we must all work together. Easy! Well, no. As others have already said, charity is not one person in the chain waiving their fees. Many years ago I was working for a company that got involved in a charity 'do'. As the crew were employed by the promoter we were (don't laugh) one big happy family. Again, no. The idea was that the crew give their time for free. OK it was a good cause but the promoter was taking his full cut :D :D Unfortunately for him the crew found out and refused to play.

Before agreeing to charitable work consider this - Are you earning enough? If you are earning more than the national arverage you can afford to give something. If you are earning below the poverty line (about £16,000pa) then no one should be asking you.

If we all give a little, say 5%, of the job thats ok. It means the poorest are not giving 100% while the richest give nothing. I don't think any charity has any right to expect something for nothing. Most seem to have full time staff who earn a lot more than I do. Cynical yes but I've been there too many times.

Tim

Archived