Fixing to a dance floor?

mike

Anyone got any bright ideas? I've just received the design for the next season at Scottish Dance Theatre...and it looks remarkably simple...aha...aha..aha..

What the current wish is... to have 6 scaff bars (or similiar) go from the floor... and disappearing up. I guess we attach the top of the scaff to flying bars, no problem. The problem is the fixing at the bottom of the pole.

it needs to be fairly secure as no doubt the poles will be knocked and pulled about a bit by the dancers.

Screwing into the floor is not an option - I like my dance floor the way it is, and some of the smaller venues we are going to won't allow it.

Tanks traps would work... but the designer would like something a little more discreet. so...how do I fix to the floor...without fixing to the floor...if you get my drift. Also, nothing to permanent please, as this will either need to be set up or struck in an interval....aha...aha...aha.

ta for you thoughts

mike.

How about...

Large thinnish steel plates (say 1mx1m) with bevelled edges with a Key Clamp welded to it in the centre? You could then paint the plate with whatever the floor design is or black if it's just dancefloor. Might be a bit noisy/bad on dancers feet, though. Anyway, that's my idea.

You could...

Use scaffolders "base plates" at the bottom of the pipes (the small 20cm x 20cm plates they place under scaffold tubes). Using a "screw clamp" (I think thats what they're called) at the top, you could brace off onto a physical structure (flyfloor?) , this would give you a much more sturdy arrangement than attaching to the flybars. Not sure if this would work in your venue - depends on length of barrels, heights of building, etc.

I have 1mx1m aluminium plates that my truss fits to, and I'll say it takes A LOT of moving. And that's aluminium. Steel should clamp down by sheer weight of the floorplate Ad a thin layer of rubber to the bottom for extra stick if you like.

Doughty do some decent base plates for booms. They are black, and very flat (apart from the bit the pole goes in), and pretty sturdy.

Hopefully you are going to venues with flying - otherwise I'm not sure how you'll get the poles out (discretely) in the interval! (I'm assuming you'll fix the poles to the bars with swivel clamps or similar...)

alan.

Just a thought - might have got the wrong end of the stick though...

If you are clamping the barrels to the fly bar, even if you fix the barrel to the stage, are the tops of the barrels not still going to swing all over the place as the fly bar is free to swing?

Thanks for all those,

To answer some questions - yes, most of the venues have flying - we start in Dundee Rep for example and then move on. We do have a highland leg with trussing etc... but that's a prolem for later in the tour!

The idea with the flying bars...the bit I forgot to mention is to braille them off to either fly floors -

Ta for extra info Bryson - it's off to the production meeting we go!

mike.

Archived