Gig in Ethiopia

Slightly off beat question - Have any of the members worked in Addis Ababa, we are looking to take on a job out there. At the moment I am assuming I will have to ship the entire rig, from the UK.

It's outdoor, so we need shelter, air con, power and local security for the set up.

If anyone has any experience or useful contacts please shout out, could be a job in it for you as well

Sam

No experience of Ethiopia, but have coordinated some work in Malawi.

We sent out a large flightcase of kit and an engineer. In that particular case, it was more cost effective to collect up the "old but still useable" kit in the storeroom , ship it out and use it, and then donate it to local organisations rather than pay the excess baggage to bring it back.

Bruce.

Read the Foreign Offce's information sites. Get specific advice from them. Then remember that things can and will be variable according to local and international happenings.

www.fco.gov.uk/travel

The CIA offer a world atlas and travel guide also -- the CIA World Factbook

It's more than ten years since I've been to Addis and that visit I was doing TV coverage rather than live sound so I suspect I can't tell you much. However, for what it's worth:

The two main western hotels are the Hilton and the Sheraton. The Sheraton was, in theory, 5 star to the Hilton 4 star but in fact the Hilton seemed the better place to stay despite being 50% cheaper. The one thing the Sheraton did have though was a cash machine that would give you Birra (the local currency).

Power was, as you'd expect, pretty unreliable and for anything mission critical I'd suggest a generator.

When we were there, we found (in advance) a local "fixer" who was invaluable in terms of contacts and the ability to translate...I'm desperately looking for his name but that was a few computers ago so I can't promise anything. I'll post again if I manage to come up with somebody.

Bob

Probably the FIRST thing to do is to contact your insurers, You will assume a huge responsibility for the entire life support and safety for your crew, you will need massive amounts of insurance, including long term tropical diseases and war zone cover. Assume it is unlikely for any kit to come back.

My Bro in Law goes to India for his (very big company) employer. The standing orders he has are incredible, and he stays in an international hotel, transported by a company driver. EG Drink -- Only water he himself has boiled may pass his lips even for cleaning teeth. Bottled water is totally forbidden - it can be locally refilled from a tap/open sewer and resold. Cans - international brands are OK -BUT the outside of each can must be sanitised with alcho rub brought from the UK/USA and then dried with a plain tissue brought from the UK/USA. Every time he goes there one of his contacts is unwell from a bad food/water disease - even the locals are not immune to it.

Bobsy, If you can still find the contact that would be a great help - we will have at least one reccy prior to committing but try googling Generator hire or Marquee or anything in the blue room vocabulary and you get a blank.

As Jive says - assume all the kit is going one way and if anything makes it home then it's a bonus

Sam

Archived