Pat 252 Disks

Nicktaylor

As I have loads of these projectors and disks, I wondered if anyone can point me in the direction of a controller for the speed. Obviously the current drawn is tiny compared with a lantern channel, and I am of course aware of the mechanical adjustments on the effects. It would be handy to vary the speed of the effect electrically.

The standard 252 effects unit uses a small syncronous motor to drive the effect, as do some gobo rotators and mirror ball rotators. These motors lock to the mains frequency, and thus cant be speed controlled by any of the normal methods. The only way you can control them is by varying the frequency of the power supplied to them.

One can purchase electronic motor speed controls (usually called inverters) that control motors (normally larger than a gobo motor though!), but I am not sure that this would work for this application, as I've seen what an inverter output looks like on a 'scope, and I'm not sure a little syncronous motor would run on that mess.

Archived