The battle of 12" cabs

Rich newby

Hi all.

Im afraid to report that my system is running to the end of its life. The tops are now no longer usable, this is due to there age and amount of use. I am now looking to replace them first. As most of you probably know I am very much a HK man, however for the size of this rig I would not like to go powered, I would like to stick to the good old amp rack. So I am looking for a pair of 12" tops around the £1000 mark. I am looking at the martin backline gear. What do you guys this, is there something better out there for the price. In the range of speakers I would also like there to be some 18"Subs, as this will be the next upgrade.

Cheers

Rich

Hi all.

Im afraid to report that my system is running to the end of its life. The tops are now no longer usable, this is due to there age and amount of use.

Surely you havent abused them Rich - under/overdriven. :P Most gear I've got is still going after 10 years of my use let alone in its previous life!

Suggest you go for something with a controller with inbuilt limiters!!

Black line gear is good. You may even get a ex-hire (ebay) pair of Nexo PS8's for the price - although they are not 12" but will equal alot of 12" cabs with quality & output. + they are lighter!

Andi

Hi Rich,

I'd agree that the blackline stuff is good - other alternatives include Ohm TRS 112, and surprisingly, I find myself recommending Yamaha C112VA - the ones without the carpet, and with real foam faced grilles as, for the price they are rather good.

Of course there is, I believe, the new nexo PS12 tangential array cab soon to appear. Might just be a grand *each* but probably worth every penny : )

Matt

Rich,

Just a couple of questions?

What do you currently have?

What are the problems with them?

Were they working properly would they be adequate for your needs?

For what purpose do you intend to use them?

What type of programme material will you be using?

How do you see yourself growing?

How would you like to see these cabs serve you in the future?

How do you transport you current cabs?

How will you transport these?

Where will you store the new cabs?

Do you intend to get a return on your investment?

How do you intend to finance these?

How did you finance your last set?

Have they provided a return on your initial investment?

What do you currently have in terms of amplification?

What do you currently have in terms of processing?

Okie dokie then, lets get going.

What do you currently have?

1) At the moment I have a pair of Celestion 10" 300w tops and a pair of peavey 15" 450w subs.

What are the problems with them?

They are cracking and distorting when driven over about 1/2 power.

Were they working properly would they be adequate for your needs?

When they were working before they were no where near what I needed, but at the time I was making about £10 a year!!

For what purpose do you intend to use them?

They will be used for a large range of applications, the 2 main ones will be live bands and Disco's.

How do you see yourself growing?

At the minute I am growing very rapidly, hence the reason I would like the speakers to come from quite a big family of cabs, so upgrading the system will be easy.

How would you like to see these cabs serve you in the future?

Not quite sure what you mean by this but I would like this to be my main system for quite a few years, even if it includes upgrading the rest of the system.

How do you transport you current cabs?

At the minute either in an estate or a purpose built trailer.

How will you transport these?

In the trailer, it is fully enclosed, more like a tow a van really, except everything is layed out in racks on the floor and boxes.

Where will you store the new cabs?

They are stored in a warehouse on industrial shelving racks

How do you intend to finance these?

My dads bank account! Seriously! Then I pay him back in working hours.

How did you finance your last set?

With the money I found down the back of the sofa!! Um, if I rememberer correctly I worked for the money, saved it all up, and then bought the system.

What do you currently have in terms of amplification?

At the minute a Makie FR1400, recently been reconditioned.

What do you currently have in terms of processing?

A full processing rack, Behringer EQ's, TC m one ect.

Hope this will help you out a bit

Cheers

Rich

I would recommend a set of 312 audaturium cabs from studiospares, 600rms full range but will easy take 1kw per channel. then you can use these full range on there own or with bins for reinforcement. at only 250 each they are a bargain. they actually look really nice too, only downside is they are quite heavy but nothing a couple of castors can sort out!

I bought them 7 years ago.

:) :)

You bought a PA system when you were seven????

I had a very boring 7 years of my life!! I was the sort of kid that never owned a single toy. When I was 3 I got my first tool kit. I spent 30 minutes going around the kitchen unscrewing all the child locks from the cabinets! Its just the way I am. As for the studiospares cabs, the reason I am looking at 12" is because I am not planning on using them on there own, always with subs. Unfortunately I don't have anything small enough where one pair of cabs will cut it. Well in fact I do, but they always seem to be in a massive hall or a room full of young rockers who constantly want the music louder.

Cheers so far

Rich

I had a very boring 7 years of my life!!

Well, I'm sure it wasn't boring - but surely that's not normal for a 7-year-old ...

And I have to ask ... your profile says that you're 14 and that you've been doing "pro" theatre work since you were 11. Aside from the fact that I don't know of one single theatre that would even briefly consider employing an 11-year-old, how do you get around the regulations that limit how many hours you can work and when they can be? In particular, the one about it being illegal for an under-16 to work after 7pm during the week must make it very awkward to work performances.

Rich…

I can sympathise with you sometimes I too at a very young age was taking bits of old and more importantly dead electrical equipment apart (usually control units off boilers that my uncle who’s a gas and electrics engineer gave me) although I have to say not at the age of three more like five and supervised! I did have a “safe” tool kit from a very early age basically a few screw drivers.

However I find it hard to believe that you had a full PA system at the age of seven.

Thinking about it I have always been interested in lighting and sound probably even without knowing it, I would play with the hi-fi etc. I certainly didn’t know how a PA system worked at seven. Does one of you parents or family work in the industry as then I would find it much easier to believe you as I know people who have followed their Dads around on shows and events but I know no one who has without any family connection started being involved with shows at that age.

There is one guy I know who is about eleven whom I have just worked on an event with at his school. Nice guy and very keen but he doesn’t know a huge amount and his dad is the head of sound at a TV production studio also a nice guy. I am sure this eleven year old will be great when he is older but surely you would have though he would know a lot more than he does?

Finally where are you going to get £1000 from working? I need to buy about £1200 worth of laptop and project bits this summer for my college work and even as a fully able worker doing get-ins and get-outs as well as a few bits of small scale design it will take me a most of the summer to have that sort of disposable income! :)

Archived