The battle of 12" cabs

Rich newby

Finally where are you going to get £1000 from working? I need to buy about £1200 worth of laptop and project bits this summer for my college work and even as a fully able worker doing get-ins and get-outs as well as a few bits of small scale design it will take me a most of the summer to have that sort of disposable income! :)

At 14, ALL income tends to be disposable since you don't pay rent or taxes, buy groceries, run a car, etc. etc.

(Unless, of course, your father is an old grouch like me....as soon as my kids got work I started charging a small percentage of their income as room and board....)

Bob

OK then to clear things up. I got into theatre via acting. I started acting when I was 5, for stuff like amdram. Whilst waiting to get on stage for the first rehersal I went and watched the lighting tech programming the desk. He asked if I wanted a go and thats where it all started. I had been acting for a few more years, when I was 7 I really started doing the lighting and gave up the acting. As I was doing the lighting there was another guy beside me on sound, who happens to own quite a large lighting and sound company in the Northeast, he asked me if I wanted to help out at the weekends around the warehouse. They had some ex hire sound gear including a makie amp, soundcraft mixer and a pair of celestion speakers. By this time I had become very friendly with this guy who owned the company. He said if I was still helping out around the warehouse in a years time he would let me keep the system. The agreement was I could have it at the time, this was when I was 7, if I was still working for him when I was 8 he would give me the system to keep. If I quite before I was 8 I would have to give the system back. So thats how I got it so young.

As for the toolkit, yes it did include 4 screwdrivers, a tape measure, a tiny pining sort of hammer and I think that was about it.

And Finlay as for pro theatre, whilst I could get the sound system when I was 8 I am in fact still working for this company today. The owner has became a good friend of the family and I am now getting good pay. I am classing pro theatre as going out to theatres and gigs with them. No I cannot work at hight, but I still go along, run cables, rig the sound systems and sometimes control it as well. I do still get money for working for my dad as well, trust me £1000 can be made fairly easily if I am determined enough.

Hope this clearer's everything up

Rich

Rich,

I recommend you look and listen to the FBT Verve 12. It's a bit under budget, but that'd give you something to put towards the single 18 subs they also do in the range. They're proper plywood boxes with fly points and because they have neodymium drivers they are very light indeed (16kg I think). Unlike the Studiospares boxes these use named drivers from a respected source (B&C).

I bought some about 6 months or so ago to replace an aging pair of Behringer 12" boxes and the difference was staggering. The harsh, brittle hi-mid of the Behringers was replaced with sweet detail. I've since installed Verve 12's in a club where they regularly get a beasting and they've held up fine (with 15" subs).

FBT Verve range

FBT's next range up is the PSR which would use up all your budget and a bit more. Worth a look as I haven't heard 'em I can't comment.

Pete.

I had a very boring 7 years of my life!! I was the sort of kid that never owned a single toy.

Sounds like you are an older person stuck in a young persons body. Where as I am a young person stuck in a middle aged persons body (Childs - according to my wife!). Hence buying all the toys I was not allowed or had the funds for when I was a child!! :angry:

Back on topic - Audio media magazine gave a great review for the JBL SRX712's & 718's in a recent edition & they double as pretty good monitors as well!

Andi

I would recommend the RCF Acustica Compact series speakers. The 10" and 12" boxes there are quite impressive. I think you can get a pair of the 12" ones for £1000. I think you can get the 10" ones for £500 a pair if you've got friends in the right places too. They do matching subwoofers. These I'm not so keen on, I'd maybe think about getting a different sub, but the RCF ones certainly work!

I would highly reccomend the Turbosound Txd 12'. Very smooth and take a good punishing sonically. Just get speaker bags or cases for them.

Turbo are doing a very good deal to their distributors this month! check it out

One of our company directors has a 6 year old kid who is more than capable of operating the lighting desk. We had him operating the desk on an outdoor festival for 3500 people to prove a point. Obviously someone has to set it up but I don't think we can under estimate kids abilities. An excellent source of cheap labour! j/k

The PS10's are a great box and you can pick them up for pretty good prices.

You could also save a bit more and go for the Funktion One Res1's. No compression drivers so they sound really warm and smooth. You could then add a couple of F118's for a kick ass system a bit further down the line. Don't waste your money on inferior products. Get the good stuff early on and you'll make the money back much faster.

One of our company directors has a 6 year old kid who is more than capable of operating the lighting desk. We had him operating the desk on an outdoor festival for 3500 people to prove a point. Obviously someone has to set it up but I don't think we can under estimate kids abilities. An excellent source of cheap labour! j/k

Well, I often use my brother to op for me. He is now thirteen, but has been doing so since I was 12 and he was 7, when we worked with my dad. This is something many people do, and oh so many post pictures of themselves as a child opping a desk on the web (going ;) here I fear so I'll bring it back round), but this is massively different to owning a sound system at 7. Closest I had to a LX desk at that age was a peice of ply with domestic dimmer switches in, controlling a few reflector lamps for a puppet theatre. The point that people have been making is not that people don't understand and get involved at that age, but that the don't actually own equipment.

Archived