Help needed with Par16's

kingpin

Hi, hoping some of you very talented people can help me;

I've recently purchased 30 par 16's (very low price and couldn't resist) I want to use them to light a band (usually play in pubs etc). What I want to do with them is have them set up in three banks of 10, each bank having, for example, 4 blue 3 red 3 green lights. I want 3 dimmers for each bank so 9 all together, can someone please point me in the right direction of how best to go about this (and a cheap way to do it would be much appreciated !)

Many thanks in advance,

Andy.

ps. hope what I've put above makes sense :P

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I only need the for dim lighting, at the moment only the singer is lit and the band play pretty much in the dark, we use 4 movers and 2 scanners for a light show and any bright lighting needed. Like I said got them really cheap (£1 each) so was hoping I would be able to do something with them.

No, but been pricing them up. Seen one that will do upto 5 50w lamps for £15 (is that a good price, never looked into them before)

Id recomend that you base any transformer expectations on putting 75w lamps in,future proof yourself!

You might find that you need to spend quite a lot more to get these connected than you did to buy them, but, if you're going to get a lot of use from them, that's fine.

£15 for a 12V 250VA transformer is pretty good.

It's the combination of dimmer pack transformer that seems to be critical - some work ok, but it's possible to burn out the transformer if the dimmer output has a dc offset. It's advisable to put a fuse in the primary of the transformer to avoid damaging the dimmer pack.

You might want to think about allowing for future expansion/changes by using 3-way XLR connectors, rather thatn hardwiring. More expense, though.

No, but been pricing them up. Seen one that will do upto 5 50w lamps for £15 (is that a good price, never looked into them before)

Id recomend that you base any transformer expectations on putting 75w lamps in,future proof yourself!

And beware of cheap cheap transformers - even if they do work with dimmers, they don't necessarily work WELL with dimmers!!!

Before you buy loads buy one and test it!!

I think that the problem with the par16's is not the brightness, its the beam angle. They do take quite a bit of throw to get a decent size spot on them. You might want to think about this when your thinking about positioning the t-bars(or whatever mounting method you have chosen), it might not be the best idea to put them in the middle of a pub full of drunk people, staggering around in the dark!

HTH

Rich

I think that the problem with the par16's is not the brightness, its the beam angle. They do take quite a bit of throw to get a decent size spot on them.

Rich

What?

You can get just about any beam angle you want for a PAR 16. They come in anything from 5 degrees to 50 degrees. Just get the best for your requirements.

Rich, if you've been having problems birdies being too narrow, a quick chat to your local lamp supplier is in order, mate! :)

I think that the problem with the par16's is not the brightness, its the beam angle. They do take quite a bit of throw to get a decent size spot on them.

Utter rubbish. M16 lamps are available in a huge assortment of beam angles up to 60-odd degrees. It's best not to offer advice on a subject if you don't know what you're talking about.

Guest lightnix
I think that the problem...
No, Rich, the problem is that you seem incapable of posting anything resembling accurate information in these forums. Is there any chance that might change soon?

Archived