Rigging in small schools

Dweeks

Powerdrill bars are as opposed to using a winch, simply like a drill bit, stops people lifting or dropping bars, pretend your drilling into the winch its self and this moves the bar.

Only place ive seen them is a new build in Easterhouse in Glasgow.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm more confused now. power drill bars that hold just one light. So we're talking lots of little short bars on some kind of power tool operated winch? Sounds rather mickey mouse - and very expensive for what it can do.

See if your council has a contract with a scaffolding tower supplier, here in Gateshead we can hire a tower for £14 for a week from the contracted supplier (inc. delivery/collection from the School), to pretty much any height.

I'm more confused now. power drill bars that hold just one light. So we're talking lots of little short bars on some kind of power tool operated winch? Sounds rather mickey mouse - and very expensive for what it can do.

Mixed messages I think,

The brackets dweeks was talking about are about 4mm thick, 30mm wide, and have two arms at right anlges to each other and about 400mm long. They bolt to the wall with 2 fixings on one side, and the lanterns hang off of the other. Haven't seen them in years other than in my old church, and are a pain to use.

Tho, I thought the same as paul when I read andrew's post earlier,

Guessing a bit, but I have seen winches powered with a mains drill via a 1/2" drive. Looked a clever solution, one power source for several winches, and can be locked away for security too.

As for clamping with harnesses, again this comes below choosing appropriate access equipment to prevent accidents (WAHR), and also requires fall arrest harnesses and attachment points designed for fall arrest, etc - unlikely in this case I guess?

And you also have to make provision for rapid rescue, since hanging in a harness can be fatal, sometimes very quickly (something that many establishments overlook):

http://www.outdoorinstruction.co.uk/downlo...s_Pathology.pdf

To clarify, the system uses powerdrill bars, suitable of taking 1 lantern each (with a range of holes for bolts and nuts). There are 12 of these around the room.

This is what the OP said. I've used square drive power tool operated winches before - but this is not what he said - as has been no doubt guessed by people in the previous posts, the OP doesn't have power drill operated bars - be a bit daft for 1 lantern per bar, but cross mounting T bar type things.

Whoah we've wandered off topic here!

I will certainly enquire into the costs of renting a scaff-tower from the County Council... £14 a week would be very managable, heck I'd pay it myself if it was all delivered etc. Got the qualification for using and inspecting them fortunately.

They are very basic bars, none of this winching malarky! They are a pain in the neck as bolting lanterns is never easy, especially up a ladder.

I will try and obtain a copy of Working At Height Regulations too.

Thanks for your advice so far guys, it's much appreciated and heartening. :blink:

Any more would always be helpful however!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just believe in being safe rather than sorry... if spending a couple more minutes lugging huge crash mats around saves a broken body part, I'd rather do it.

It's a question of appearances, not of safety. Putting crash mats around a ladder gives the appearance to someone observing that falls are a regular occurance, since the crash mats are there. <Snip>

Surely officially the crash mats are there to protect the floor in the unlikley event that a lantern gets dropped. :D

I'm assuming that being a school the floor is the usual wooden strip gym floor that would suffer damage having a lantern dropped onto it from height.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi I am from Western Australia, where we have a code of practise Prevention Of falls At Workplace http://www.worksafe.wa.gov.au/newsite/work.../code_falls.pdf and we have started using platform ladders in schools and small theatres to allow rigging of lighting where a lot of bars are usually 4 metres above the stage floor.

They can be expensive unless you get one from an auction but they can be used within the guidelines.

I prefer scaffold as it is a better work platform but the platform ladders are ready to use so more suited to a student environment under supervision.

In raked auditoriums, an offset height base can allow standard scaffold to be used.

a code of practise Prevention Of falls At Workplace and we have started using platform ladders in schools .....

They can be expensive unless you get one from an auction but they can be used within the guidelines.

Interesting document, similar to one issued by the HSE over here. However, I can see no reference to a "platform ladder"; is that what we would refer to as an A frame here? A 4m A frame would be d@mned heavy! I've got one at about 3m and it is of such a size that it is really a 2 man job to move it! Or are you talking of a "Tallescope"?

Secondly, I would be loath to buy any access equipment 2nd hand as you have no idea of the abuse that it may have suffered!

we have a 4m a frame and can confirm it is a two man piece of kit. it is just possible for a big person to erect it, IF the feet are against a wall, but two people are required in open space. the best thing I that the lowest ties are at about 1.2m so it is possible to straddle seating, something impossible with a scaff tower. lifting it to stage height isn't the easiest thing, but it is the safest and most useable piece of access kit we have.

Archived