Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2006

3guk

Hey Guys,

Just wondered if anyone was working at the fringe festival this year ?

Pretty sure I am working up there, and just wondered if anyone was up for a meet at some point ??

Could offer lifts if anyone needed it from manchester on the 19th of July too.

Jim

For the second year in a row (and first time ever in my Edinburgh Fringe history) I will be working in the same venue, which will be Assembly @ St George's West, at the West End of Prince's Street.

Just discovered we not only have one huge venue, but they crept in a drama space without thinking we would notice...

Will be up there from 19th July, building the thing...

Definitely should be a Blue Room meet up! :(

:(

For the second year in a row (and first time ever in my Edinburgh Fringe history) I will be working in the same venue, which will be Assembly @ St George's West, at the West End of Prince's Street.

Just discovered we not only have one huge venue, but they crept in a drama space without thinking we would notice...

Will be up there from 19th July, building the thing...

Definitely should be a Blue Room meet up! :)

Where on earth are they going to stick another space into SGW?

For the 3rd year running I'm doing the American High Schools Theatre Festival at the Church Hill Theatre in Morningside & like as not the Assembly fit up.

The Church Hill is almost unique on the Fringe as it's a proper theatre, used year-round by the Am-drams not a broom-cupboard conversion.

The refurb is almost complete as well so I can stop climbing over the joiners & sparkies downstairs. Nearly 11 months to do the work and they manage to run it right into the last 3-weeks - typical Council.

As I live just outside Edinburgh I get the bonus of sleeping in my own bed in my own house (thank god for night buses ;) )

A Blue Room meet sounds damn fine to me! :)

Just thought I'd add a quick note to say that I'm going to be based up in Edinburgh for the first few weeks of the festival to provide backup and technical support for any Zero88 products at the festival. If your venue is using a Zero88 desk, please drop me an email (pkirkup@zero88.com) and let me know.

Is there any places left in the Fringe for LX ops, designers, riggers, etc in places like the Underbelly, C Venues, Gilded Balloon etc?

I'm just asking because I'm working partially in the daytime, programming and making sure LX things are fine in my usual venue (yeah a nightclub to say the worst!).

Is there any places left in the Fringe for LX ops, designers, riggers, etc in places like the Underbelly, C Venues, Gilded Balloon etc?

Check out the forums on the Fringe website. There is one specifically for 'staff wanted'. Bear in mind that a lot of groups are looking for techs for free and that the rates of pay from the venues are usually pretty low. This has been driven by the fact that a lot of techs look to do the Fringe for the kudos factor rather than trying to earn a decent months pay!

Steve

solus-ts....

Candlish Hall - the room we liked to store all our flightcases in... not sure where they are going to go instead, or where the production office will be, as no doubt it will become a dressing room for the space.... All good fun

Actually, since you mention it, I need a tech manager for week 2 (and a little before for a run down of gear), as I'm having to travel back down to work (not enough holiday for the whole month). It wont pay, but food and accomodation can be provided, and my Venue manager can be pretty generous in the pub...

Guest lightnix

"Break a leg", everybody - hope you all have a great festival, whatever you wind up doing in that most fabulous of cities, at the artistic highpoint of its year :)

Just don't forget to read this thread before you sign up to anything; along with this one, if they even so much as mention the word "drive"... :)

...and have a Search through the Safety forum (especially) for things like heights, helmet, ladders, tallescope, noise, etc... You know... all those boring little things that can put you in hospital (and court) if you ignore them and it all goes pear-shaped :(

...and don't forget that you are probably not really "employed on a freelance basis and therefore responsible for your own Tax & National Insurance", unless you have at least registered as self-employed with the Inland Revenue; before doing which, you would be well-advised to engage the services of a professional accountant and start shopping around for some Public Liability Insurance.

Forearmed is forewarned (or something like that) :(

I'll be working in an 'established' :) venue for the Festival (and before and after it I suppose). Richard I'll be seeing for definite, not sure about anyone else..... The Traverse Bar may feature in my plans though, see you there!

Archived