Metamorphoses

TigerMelon

I am Co-Director and Choregrapher for a production of Mary Zimmerman's METAMORPHOSES that will be opening this week. Any advice from others who have done this show would be greatly appreciated. I know we will encounter a lot of technical issues going into tech week, and it would be great to have a heads up on potential issues and resolutions.

Thanks!

TigerMelon

Hi, and welcome to the Blue Room.

But forgive me for saying, but isn't the week that you're opening a bit late to be seeking advice, particularly one with such specific technical issues as a pool on stage....?

Tony

I think Ynots comment is spot on - and quite worrying. Still, let us have some more info.

I'm assuming you have got everything planned, and just need some tips on what may (or may not) jump up and bite you.

We need to know.

Scale - 100 people or 1000? makes a huge difference.

Staging - the play suggests close audience involvement, all around a central 'feature' area - is this how it is being done?

Quality level - are we talking budget production, with savings wherever possible

Status - amateur or pro

Aim - art or profit?

creative team experience?

location - makes quite a bit of difference where you actually are doing it.

have fun

Paul

Although not involved myself, this is how we did it, and I think this photo shows best how the 'pool' was created. No nasty water. It was in a 'found' space (a chapel), so everything was brought in. Audience on three sides.

http://www.rugbyschool.net/Pages/sl/activities/drama/images/metamorph/016.jpg

There are some other photos here if you're interested. I can't tell you much more as I wasn't involved.

Incidentally, I hate to be picky, but it's 'Metamorphosis', not 'Metamorphoses', which has a slightly different meaning.

[EDIT] No it's not, you're right - my mistake (see below). [/EDIT]

If it were my choice I'd say avoid water, maybe get the lx designer to use a couple of 'ripples' which replicate the effect of light shining off of rippling water and can be projected up onto actors/set etc.

Incidentally, I hate to be picky, but it's 'Metamorphosis', not 'Metamorphoses', which has a slightly different meaning.

AFAIR, there're no pools of water in Kafka's Metamorphosis...

indeed mary zimmermans metamorphosEs is a different play from Kafka's metamorphosIs. :)

Indeed- you're correct - I suppose the moral is I should've checked the script first, rather than assuming! 'Metamorphoses' it is, and I stand corrected. :)

A friend of mine is the technical director for a theatre putting this show up in September and he has just begun the structural engineering of it. His concern is that with the water weighing what it does, that the floor of the theatre might no be structural enough. :)

So my two bits, remember that water weighs a lot...

If I remember correctly form the last semesters fluid's lectures, then at 4 degrees c, the density of water is 1000kg per cubic metre. Either side of this temperature, the density falls, and at 20 degrees c the density is closer to 995kg per cubic metre.

Not very much difference I know, but just me being a pedant :)

Archived