Artificial Flowers

Brian

Guest lightnix

How about do a Google image search for "poppy", save the best ones, print them out a few times and do cut outs. You may need some volunteers to help you.

Just an idea.

Why not contact the royal British Legion in Richmond, They make all the poppyís sold in the UK. for a small donation you could have a box full

Hmm, I think they may be a bit small for what we need. Basically we want to video a segment of Dorothy, Toto etc skipping through a field of poppies (don't ask) and then play it back for a Wicked Witch of the West magic mirror scene.

print them out a few times and do cut outs

We might end up with a load of sticks and red tissue paper.

Can you cheat? Specifically, do the audience have to know that D & T are skipping through poppies rather than generic red flowers? - If not, could you shoot with a very shallow depth of field, vignetted in soft focus, and just use one or two rows of poppy printouts DS and US of the actors?

Can you cheat?

Cheat, in Panto? How dare you ? :D

In fact I think that's exactly what we are going to end up doing. Finding anywhere which looks good in December is going to be a challenge.

• 4 weeks later...

This will sound very Blue Peter but if you are looking for "cheap" and can cheat:

Years ago I made hundreds of flowers for a stage school production of "Little Shop of Horrors". I got those green garden sticks (they're about 2p each) from a hardware shop and split them with a stanley knife to make about 4 stalks from each one. I cut the rings of petals from newspaper (just strips of newspaper) and wrapped them around the stalk with a piece of masking tape, and sprayed the whole lot with car spray. It was cheap, didn't take that long once I had a production line going, and if you're happy with a stylized (<spelling?>) kind of flower it looks fine.

Archived