DMX512A

tompw

Yes, since 2004. You can buy a copy online from various US websites (ANSI/ESTA) or hard-copy from PLASA in the UK. But do you mean DMX512-A or do you mean the new RDM version. Which was published last week and is available online from the same sources.

Out of interest any who's read it, are then any major differences from the original DMX spec? presumable it's backward compatible? Any knew things we should all be aware of?

I said freely avilable not publically vailable... i.e. is there anywhere where, without having to pay, I can read about the nitty-gritty of what exactly it can (and can't) do, and how the data is encoded. (Both the original and the RDM versions).

I said freely avilable not publically vailable

They mean more or less the same thing. What you actually meant to ask was whether it's "available for free". :o

If you want the right answer, you've got to ask the right question!

This is something that irks me quite a lot. The HUGE cost of buying standards. OK, major manufacturers can justify having copies of BS whatever, but those of us on the periphery that just want an overview of the requirements, or to answer one deep question can't justify the cost. I know the OP was after a USITT rather than BS, but the same applies...

I for one, would like to read up on "temporary supplies", but I am unlikely to ever really need it in anger, so why spend the cash? There is stuff in the Building Regs I'd like to have to hand; God alone knows what a copy would cost! :o

Yes, I do know I could trog into town and sit and read BSs at the library, but it's not the same, is it?

The HUGE cost of buying standards.

Luckily the RDM one and DMX one are not too badly priced. IIRC RDM cost me $40 to download.

There is stuff in the Building Regs I'd like to have to hand; God alone knows what a copy would cost!

A lot of the bilding regs are available online from the odpm.gov.uk website.

This is something that irks me quite a lot. The HUGE cost of buying standards.

Yes, I do know I could trog into town and sit and read BSs at the library, but it's not the same, is it?

There was a thread on this a few months back on the StageCraft list - the summary from the guys who actually do the standards is that they don't get paid for the many, many hours of researching, comparing and finalising the codes, nor get per diems or anything. And then, rather than have a manufacturer sponsor the standard (which could influence the final code), they set a price that goes somewhere to making back the cost.

They did seem to miss the point that if they made the cost cheaper - they'd be able to sell more copies.

Check the archives at Stagecraft home page if you want more (I'd post the thread link but the archives aren't working for me at the mo')

I said freely avilable not publically vailable

They mean more or less the same thing. What you actually meant to ask was whether it's "available for free". :o

If you want the right answer, you've got to ask the right question!

If we're being that anal then technically "for free" is gramatically incorrect. :blink:

• 3 months later...

OT but if you think that is expensive try BS EN 50419:2006 (it's to do with WEEE)...

Six sheets of A4 for £56 list or £28 for BSI members.

Sheet 1 = cover and generic nationalforward

Sheet 2 = european forward

Sheet 3 = index and first page of real standard

Sheet 4 = pages 2 and 3 of real standard

Sheet 5 = page 4 of standard and bibliography

Sheet 6 = blank page and how to contact BSI

So that's 4 (actually 3.5) pages of standard.

Makes the DMX spec seem like a bargain :D

Archived