Peavey bad, why?

The Boogie Man

If anyone has read my previous post they'll know I've got a celestion system and am selling body parts to work up to a nexo rig (mmm pause for quick day dream ).

Now my 250rms full range tops are getting a caning with 650 at 4ohms going in and until fame and fortune come a knocking the nexo's will have to wait a while. So I've amps that give 650 at 4ohm and the best contender to replace the celestions looks like a pair of hysys 7's ? 700watt at 4ohm.

Now I keep hearing respected gents on this forum using the words peavey and bargepole in the same sentence. and I just wondered, Why?

Do they do somthing fundermentally wrong or is it somthing else?

THey just seem to incur the same respect the lampies have for behringer light desks. :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peavey it's baad bad bad. It competes only in the affordable range. It used to make pro audio products but before I was born. Just like Behringer but a little later. I think the last series from Peavey made to compete with other systems was the HDH series. They were not good at all anyway. Some dude in my country are still using them.

If it's my option before going Peavey I'd go chinese.

To just slam Peavey outright is not in my opinion acceptable, because like most companies they make different levels of equipment. I could slam JBL because of the JRx/SoundFactor/TR range, but in doing so I'd write off SRx700/VRx and VerTec. There are a couple of products in the Peavey range that are superb, like the MediaMatrix system which a few people in the know have commented as having more than a passing influence on a very high end digital desk. Likewise the QW series and forthcoming versarray products have more than a few followers.

Peavey does have some advantages that are often forgotten, like field replaceable baskets. That alone makes a Peavey speaker more professional than comparable products from other manufacturers. Their more basic stuff like the UL/Pro series doesn't sound amazing, it's not meant to sound amazing. It's meant to work and work reliably. Peavey gear is fairly indestructible and takes far more knocks than the equivalent from Behringer et al. Their desks and amps are solid, if basic, but they do what they say they will. People get so absorbed in the quest for ultimate sound quality they neglect the other things that make a difference to the system. I've gotten good sound out of a Peavey system, it's not perfectly even across the coverage area, with a noticeable beam on axis, but it's not unacceptable for the level of show in any way.

Just my 2p

Regards

Chris

Boogieman, I'm afraid that I am going to be as technical as Bad Rock and say that there is not a barge pole long enough.

I will admit that there have been times that I have heard a Peavey system sound somewhere approaching ggod, but that has always been down to who is running the system. Tis true that a fool can make a NEXO or Meyer system sound crap, but that someone really needs to work at it.

Yea, it's American made for the most part, but it sounds dreadful. It's cheap, and nothing says more that you have bought for price rather than sound quality like owning Peavey.

My brother, bless his oxegen starved brain, once told me that I was being too prejudicial about Peavey because some of their stuff --The Black Widow-- is really good and --here is the kicker-- you can drop their stuff off of a bulding and it will still work. Now, I am not sure what that says that someone would be so compelled as to drop their speakers off of a roof, but I am pretty certain that if I were so compelled I would hardly be rejoicing that it still worked.

Two words to remember when buying gear: Peavey Sucks. :down:

Those two words have served me well throughout my life and I hope they do the same for you..

P.S.. I love the shocked look that Peavey owners have when they ask me --because I am AMerican-- what I think of Peavey. :unsure:

Now, I am not sure what that says that someone would be so compelled as to drop their speakers off of a roof, but I am pretty certain that if I were so compelled I would hardly be rejoicing that it still worked.

I wouldn't be compelled to drop something off a roof. However I've been reasonably glad when a flightcase rolls off the side of the dock and drops 6ft that the gear survives for the show.

Regards

Chris

:unsure:

The only Peavy boxes I've had the misfortune to work with were astonishingly heavy, and sounded like a wet cardboard box being smacked with a shovel.

Andrew wanted to say that they sound like a wet fart but because his an administrator he can not use that kind of language. I hope not to get banned neither. :huh:

So, Chris, I take it that you are a Peavey owner? :huh:

Now while I agree with you about flight cases, I was talking about speakers. But, since you mention it perhaps I will buy a Peavey Rig and tear out the gubbins and use it as a flight case. It will cost a damed sight less than the five star cases I have had built for my nexos.. :unsure:

Do they do somthing fundermentally wrong or is it somthing else?

Nothing wrong per se.... they make kit to a certain specification for a certain market. Because of their success and popularity in the States, it appears that every bar and club had a Peavey band PA system installed. Perhaps this is why PA riders wanted to exclude them? There were so many systems around that the band wanting something better had to fight against this tide of mediocracy?! On the other hand, Allen & Heath were greeted with the same degree of scorn for many years, but perseverance in product improvement, customer support and marketing means that many would rank A&H alongside or above Soundcraft in the lower and middle desk market sector.

Peavey makes kit that works. Their ubiquitous nature and relatively low price point means that many people are exposed to it. Strangely enough, Phonic, Sound Lab and those unbranded multipiezo boxes that adorn the monthly trade specials catalogues are seen for what they are... cheap and cheerful, and you get what you pay for.

If Peavey were charging the same money as Nexo, then my missive would take on a different tone;-)

Simon

So, Chris, I take it that you are a Peavey owner?

Wrong level, I typically freelance at the Midas/L'Acoustics/Nexo/D&B/Yamaha grade. I don't own any Peavey gear at all. However everything has its place in the foodchain. I'm not a big fan of the 'sound' without significant taming and tuning. On the other hand it's never let me down either.

Regards

Chris

I think it fair to say that Peavey PA does have history, reliability, toughness, student friendliness and quite a few other good attributes. Dealers quite like ti because the marghins a ok, they don't (in my experience) sound anywhere near so bad as the randomly designed, poorly constructed disco style kit that we come accross all over the place. Price for price you get a pretty well put together, good looking system that sounds to most people 'ok'. Most of us who have heard better, remember the better brands, and use them in preference. Peavey kit is a popular seller. My reading is that despite the markup, if dealers got a lot of relibility issues, or customer flack, then they wouldn't push it so hard. I don't read the Sun newspaper, but plenty of people do.

We all have opinions - some are based on real fact, some based on chinese whispers. I don't have an issue with this - people can say what they like, free world and all that - however, readers need to remember that and decide what importance they put on what others say. My mobile got great reviews - damn things is awful - I only found the more scathing reviews later. Same thing here with opinions on Peavey. I've heard a big system and thought yuk, I've also had a pretty bad 'youf' band playing through one and it seemed to do the job.

caveat emptor makes good sense here.

I think Paul, Chris and Simon have kind of nailed it. While it's never my first choice, I've heard lots worse than Peavey gear too. The price point has a lot to do with it: what would be "bad" at £2000 is pretty good value at £200! And, as has been said, while not great sound quality, the Peavey build is pretty robust.

A theatre/arts centre not too far from me has a fixed Peavey install and, while it takes a bit of TLC with the EQ, I can eventually get an okay sound out of it. I suspect their small installs tend to be a bit easier to take than big ones...which makes sense if you think about it. Manufacturers have to be a lot more clever with directional patterns etc. as the number of cabs increases.

Bob

In my opinion Peavey stuff was OK by 70's standards but standards of PA speakers improved dramatically through the 80's and Peavey just didn't keep up. Their expensive HDH system was the only speaker system of theirs that I've heard of theirs that sounds vaguely good. Somehow, to my ears, they never managed to get any definition to the high end on most of their speakers.

Peavey electronics is a different story. It may not be the greatest around but their stuff is usually usable and reasonably well put together. They made some great recording consoles that never sold because of the name - they made a half hearted attempt to establish a new up-market brand with their AMR series but they still kept the Peavey name on them and the gear was still marketed through the normal Peavey channels and therefore not taken seriously.

People often remove the Peavey logo from the decent bits of gear that Peavey make in order to make their amp rack or effects rack look more acceptable.

Cheers

James.

Archived